Unofficial Tailpipe Emissions Poll - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Unofficial Tailpipe Emissions Poll

First , this is OT . Pass by if it doesn`t interest you.

It`s raining , I`m off work today and cant work on the Jeep because it`s outside right now .
I live in Canada and have been following the prez campaigns somewhat . <font color=red>OUR</font color=red> gutless , ball-less incompetent , money wasting politicians here usually follow what happens down your way as far as changes to the enviormental laws and such goes. God help us all if Gorezilla gets in(IMO) . Since there is such a variety of users from all over I was curious if all of you ( in all States) have to pass emissions tests or is it just some States ? Here in BC they are getting really strict and we are also getting hosed
$ 24.00 per inspection . Thanks for the replies ( if I get any) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:04 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: Unofficial Tailpipe Emissions Poll

$12 bucks, and it's part of the yearly vehicle inspection. If your emsissions gear is on the vehicle, and the gas cap passes some sort of leak test, you pass!!!

Only in Cumberland and York counties though. It shouldn't matter all of our pollution comes from the midwest anyway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:14 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Looks like 2 Maineiak's responded at the same time. When did it expand to 2 counties, it used to be only 1?

To my knowledge, the very southernmost county only, the highest population area, they have gas cap testing for the emissions testing program. Basically it's to see if your gas cap leaks, and it qualifies as emissions testing so it satisfies the regulations for such, and allows us access to Federal Highway money.

The rest of the state has nothing. We used to have emissions testing here but it was put to a vote of the people and failed after 2 years. Bascially the state tried to ram it down our throats and we threw it up on them. The people still have some power up here.

One of the main reasons it failed was because brand new cars were being tested, and they'd fail. That on top of blown transmissions, underhanded dealings, and the usual corruption caused their downfall.

Another major reason for the testing was the "elevated" levels of carbon monoxide, reportedly from all the traffic. It is true, but the winds typically blow from west to east so it was theorized we were getting the "fallout" from other states west of us. This was ignored until some people set up a testing station on a remote uninhabited island off the coast. It registered high during the summer and low in the winter, exactly mimicking the land based testing sites, even though there were no autos anywhere near it.

In my estimation emission testing is a crock, a farce, and just another way for people to secure a job that has no real function other than to piss people off. If people are running the less fuel efficient autos and oil burners, it's because they can't afford to run anything else.

Instead of throwing money into these senseless programs, more money should be allocated to Mass transit and the transportation infrastructure. Make it so they're more economical and safer, then people will start utilizing them.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:29 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Only some states & not always the entire state. Personally, I think emmissions programs are a complete bust. I like the idea, but take a look at who fails - generally older cars that are driven proportionally few miles. I can guarantee my '96 Cavalier (which passed with flying colors) puts more pollutants into the air than many cars that won't pass. Why? Because I drive it 30,000 miles a year & spend 2 hours or more every day of the week sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, alongside thousands of other late-model cars that also passed with flying colors. Do I see really old cars or hopped up hotrods in my daily commute? RARELY. It's all new stuff. It has to be. My car is a '96 & has 117,000 miles. If it were 20 years old, it would have crapped out LONG ago due to the miles I drive.

So, to combat pollution, the state pays a private company to build testing centers & man them in urban areas. Then, I in turn pay this company to test my vehicle. All for the purpose of eliminating a disproportionately small number of seldom-driven vehicles from the road because their pollutants measure a fraction over the limit. The net result is that nothing changes. So, after a couple of years, they expand the program to additional counties and make the test stricter in the original counties. Once this fails, they push it farther & farther out of the city without ever reaching their goal. Meanwhile, millions & millions of the states' $$$ AND mine are wasted while the average car continues to put out fewer pollutants per mile, but not fewer overall.

So, here's a radical idea. Scrap the whole program. Use the money the state pays for the testing center & the money I pay to be tested to fund better highways & mass transit. Programs that reduce the number of vehicular hours driven by the public. Fine employers in high-density areas who do not offer their employees flex-time or tele-commuting options - again, things that would clear up our roads - or offer tax incentives to those who DO offer such programs. Increase the gas tax $.10 per gallon & fund mass transit, better roads, research for alternative fuels, etc.

Any thoughts? </font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:45 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Take a look at this. It's by a "treehugger" outfit, but kinda says it all on the emissions testing crap.

http://www.mainegreens.org/educate/i...ranspor.htm#ae

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:01 PM

Arizona has a strict EPA law here in Maricopa county but is very leinient in the rest of the state. I think gas is taxed way too much and the sprawl of most western cities allows little for the mass transite to offer. I take exception to the statement that the midwest has all the pollution, Well maybe up around Chicago, last time I flew in there the air was brown. I agree with Tex on the way pollution is NOT handled. We have a lot of tourists in AZ and they come from areas that do not have ANY type of emmission controled regs and they are here during our inversion time that holds the polution low in the atmosphere. We get hit by the air police and the state takes it out on the people that lives here year round. I would like them (the state) to some how get the tourist to comply with the county laws here on emmisions. You know spread the cost around. I can really rant for hours on this but will shut up for now.
GP'n

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

here down in s. fla they stopped emmsions I think at the end of june ...thank goodness

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 02:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just to add to to what GP'n said for instance in Prescott Az there is no Emmissions testing at all.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to say Tex, very well stated. You make a bunch a really good points and enjoyed reading your post.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 03:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Needless to say, california INVENTED smog, and also invented the hyper-emissions control programs. It does vary by county, and they have quit re-testing the newer stuff and the real old stuff. (It's the in-between daily drivers that causes 90% of the smog.) They had a program of buy-a-clunker in the LA area where an industry could offset THEIR pollution by buying clunkers and crushing them. The clunk HAD to be a daily driver....that was the only requirement......and what they found was that when the clunks were tested, they were SIXTY-TO-ONE the pollution of a modern new car. The guys who dreamed up that program thought it would be a lot lower. BELIEVE ME, I am an ANTI-greenie in EVERY WAY, but I HAVE spent time in Central America where pollution is disregarded, and each day I awoke at 6 AM and gazed across a beautiful city that was swept clean by the ocean breezes and by 8 AM you could NOT SEE! Turbos on bigger diesels that had quit spinning, small diesels running crude fuel and just belching smoke! It was really bad! In CA it isn't the pollution from each car that is significant, it is THE SWARM OF CARS! If CA doesn't do something, this whole state will be one big freeway. We are OUTA here in about one more year![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode