Pics of my scrambler with safari rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pics of my scrambler with safari rack

These pics aren't the best but since I don't have the digital camera they will have to do for now. The rack is made from 3/4" 16g tubing. I haven't finished the rear bed cover yet. The sides are made out of 1/8" steel diamond plate and angle iron. It will have a "lid" that opens with those compressed gas air shock thingies. The lid will be made out of angle and 14g steel diamond plate. Any questions let me know. Later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-207003-side1.jpg (59.4 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 12:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Pics of my scrambler with safari rack

Here is a top view. The bed is 1/8" steel diamond plate as well. I have added about 200lbs of diamond plate, almost all over the rear wheels. Very smooth ride. Maybe I'll use aluminum or 14g diamond plate next time.

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-207007-topview.jpg (48.9 KB, 2 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a rear view.

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-207011-back.jpg (60.0 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 07:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Bakes5,
Nice rack, I am still trying to find myself the right "mobile bike rack" like yours. What kind of bike is the yellow one? Do you bike alot? Ever been to Moab or CO biking? Nice rig, if you see one let me know please.
Greg

I want a Scrambler[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 07:42 AM
sas87yj

nice man![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

a little dark on the pics but with a little imagination i can see a real nice job and a tribute to the jeep community!

looks like a real MAN'S jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The pics turned out a lot darker than they were on my computer. I will get some more that are better soon. The bike is a Santa Cruz Tazmon. I used to bike all the time, now I get out about once a week. Been to moab many many times..sweet biking. Will be heading up there again around thanksgiving time, should be fine unless a freak snow beats me there. Later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 10:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nice work. As soon as I learn to weld, I intend to build something very similiar. Did you have the thing powder coated or painted?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Curious, how did you attach the rack to the jeep? Ive seen the type that clamp to the roll bar and the ones that attach to the windshield hinges and go back to the rear bumper. I am going to build one this winter, but I'd like to build it so I can use my soft top still.

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right now the rack is painted. I was considering powder coating, hurculiner, or even a rhino liner type coating and probably will for my next one, but this thing was so cheap (probable less than $30 in metal) that I could build 5 or six of them for the price of getting it "properly" coated.
As far as attaching it to the jeep I built a "hoop" that attaches to the side windshield frame rain gutters for the front and it clamps to the roll bar in the back with about 18 inches of overhang (just covers the rear seat). I used and expanded metal for the floor but am considering aluminum diamond plate on top of that to combat the oppressive el paso sun. The bikini top works well but it doesn't shade rear passengers and it flaps loudly against the rack on the highway.
I wish I had some better pics, I will try and get some out in the next few days. later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode