Finally the MSD off road ignition running w/EFI - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Finally the MSD off road ignition running w/EFI

We finally got the MSD off road ignition to run with the Howell Fuel injection. Through trial and error I found that eliminating the Tachometer filter that feeds into the Howell computer it would finally run. It ran real rich at first but I think that the Howell computer adjusted that out. Neither Howell nor the MSD tech could give me the answer they both suggested tachometer adapters to the tune of $50-60 I tried the MSD adapter but that did not do any good. Finally when I was about to return the MSD module I looked back at a message from Derek McCabe another Howell user and he spoke about a little square filter under the tape on the wiring harness presto it finally works. The only problem that I have now is radio noise in the speaker boxes that feed through the amplifier. I tried a filter in the speaker wires to the amplifier but did not work. I checked the antenna wire by unplugging it while the radio and the Jeep were running but the noise was still there. The next step is to install an adapter between the power leads to the radio.

1984 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
258I W/4.0 Head
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 06:40 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Finally the MSD off road ignition running w/EFI

I have solved my Projection problem also... I already had the MSD tach adapter #8920 and used the violet wire to trigger my projection. Seems as though my white wire from the MSD box could not supply the constant voltage to run my Holley system and was intermittently on then off with no order. Boy am I happy with my system !!! If anyone needs help please let me know...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 08:35 PM

Team Rush could probably be more detailed ,but I recall reading about having to shield the distributer or coil to cut out the radio static...or the guy I bought mine off {formally resided in a corvett) may have told me that...I still haven't put mine in...getting lazy I guess.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd have to go out and look but I think my Projection and Tach are both hooked up to the grey wire on the MSD box. I don't even use the white wire with my setup (I did the TR upgrade for the 304). It seems all my problems with the projection were fixed when I swapped out the relay to a non Holley product. I think the old relay had something loose internally.

As far as the radio noise, does your power wire run too close to your spark plug wires, coil or distributer. Do you have really cheap spark plug wires? Those are the only ideas I have about that.

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode