Tops - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:33 PM
joeybcdt

Tops

Is it true that ALL softops leak? Anyone have a Bestop Supertop? Is the Supertop the only one that uses a rail system? Is it any better than the rest? After a Supertop is installed, can the hardtop ever be used again?

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tops

I don't think that it's true that all soft tops leak. My soft top doesn't leak. Has anyone seen the Jeep section article that talks about the new Bestop Optimax? Tht looks like a sweet top! There expensive, but you get all the advantages of a hard top.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i have a sunrider supertop.. never leaks.. i love it.. it goes up and down in seconds..make sure you dont get anything with texture.. there are hard to clean

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

is it true that the sunrider is not good to drive with open? i heard that if it is open in the sunroof fashion, that it scoops the wind in and can be very windy, do you find that? thanks

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i don't usually cruise the highway with it open, truthfully, it's just as easy to put down as fold back.. i just drop the top.. besides, top speed is about 60 mph for me...sometimes it's nice to fold open when it looks like rain and it's hot outside(usually here)

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:13 PM
Enthusiast

First, where did you get your top from? Where did you find was the cheapest place? I'm considering getting one for next spring. Also, i hate to sound stupid, but why is your top speed only 60mph? my YJ can go much quicker than that. I have the stock 258 with the puegot tranny. Just curious. Thanks.

1987 YJ
1999 Cherokee Sport
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All the soft tops that I have ever owned leaked (4 OEM and 4 Supertops, my latest Supertop is only two weeks old). I live in a part of the rainy Pacific NW that will put any waterproof cover to the test.

If the Jeep is not parked on level ground the rain that hits the top of the top tends to run to the side and drip between the door and the upper side of the top. The amount of water is enough to keep the carpet wet (if any) and can accumulate to quite a puddle after a few days if left in one spot.

Maybe it is me who is all wet even though I have followed the installation instructions to the letter. Still, the soft top is the only way to go to for me.

Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 06:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i must admit.. i always run hard doors with all my tops, and that may help the leak problem. my jeep only goes 60 mph because of the 4.56 gears and the automatic..it will go more than that, but not for any length of time... and I'll admit it, I get scared..especially since i never keep more than 12 psi in the boggers...

~~Elusive~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode