Winter's around the corner Tire's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Winter\'s around the corner Tire\'s?

I found 4 235/75/15 studded snow (new) tires for cheap. How do you think they will work for the winter. I know they work well for the dive tires but how about for the steers. Around here we get snow and by the time the plows come by it has already turned to ICE. We only get about 80" of snow a year. The only roads I drive are back roads and in the city.

Has anybody ran this combination before. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
Are you having fun yet????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Winter\'s around the corner Tire\'s?

How aggressive is the tread on these 'snow' tires. The dealers out here carry tires that they call 'aggressive mud/snow' tires, but they are fairly mild compared to a BFG MT or the AT. I ran a set of studded 'Winter Master' (Cooper's I think) 235/75/15's on a '94 ZJ through two winter seasons here (Idaho), but I don't think I needed the studs. We get most of our snow in the mountains and once every other week, we get dumped on in the valley (2-3"). The studs were only handy when driving on the interstate/main roads to avoid the idiot that decided that 5 MPH was a good speed to merge at. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] The tires tended to plug up in the snow making driving interesting (drag slick anyone [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]). I would look more at getting a good mudder and having the tread siped (sp?) for the icey conditions. It sounds like you drive in more snow than ice... Hube

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90(SM420 soon)/d18, 27(44 soon)/44, lift (suggestions?), 32's on order, cage.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:04 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Actually, snow sticks to snow, so "clogging" is a good thing.

I have run studs in the past, not impressed with them. I have found just a good SNOW tire is the best, not a mud tire. A Mud/Snow is OK, don't get me wrong, but once you've seen what an actual snow tire can do, you'll save a set for winter. Up here, the yahoo's made it illegal (they must have been bored) to run only 2 studded tires, now all 4 have to be studded to be legal.

As to the tires, if they are snow or mud/snow they'll work, don't worry about the studs. It is neat to Light 'em up and see the sparks fly though (usually on worn down tires in spring). I have also de-studded a bunch of tires, so if you don't like the studs, grab a set of wire dykes and a small screwdriver. The studs usually don't hurt, but don't help a lot, unless the ice is glare, then you have no reason to be out anyway.

Size 235 is nice, they're small and narrow, so they won't wander on the road but will still give you decent clearance. We were actually thinking of going to that size on the TJ (with cheap rims) but found a set of 31's dirt cheap and new, MT style tread.

The absolute best for ice/snow is chains. I have several sets, but none I run on a daily basis. I like going out when it's nasty, best time to do shopping, stores aren't crowded (but then they hardly are up here anyway) and I like to "play" in the roadway. I guess I just never grew up.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:12 PM
Can't Get Enough

I run about the same kind of tire on a fwd car. Studs handle steering just fine, remember, it is not a sports car, but they will turn, A lot more road noise however. Nothing beats good studs when you have REAL ICE, other than chains. If you don't have as much of an ice problem as a compacted snow, than a siped tire, will work just fine. I have found that winter tires usually have softer tread compounds which can help with winter traction. Couple it with lots of biting edges, and they usually do great in snow and packed snow.

Just my opinion and 30+ years experience driving in the stuff.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

I run about the same kind of tire on a fwd car. Studs handle steering just fine, remember, it is not a sports car, but they will turn, A lot more road noise however. Nothing beats good studs when you have REAL ICE, other than chains. If you don't have as much of an ice problem as a compacted snow, than a siped tire, will work just fine. I have found that winter tires usually have softer tread compounds which can help with winter traction. Couple it with lots of biting edges, and they usually do great in snow and packed snow.

Just my opinion and 30+ years experience driving in the stuff.

P.S. We got our first snow on Friday, Sept. 1.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode