Alt. belt design/size prob - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alt. belt design/size prob

I am wondering if any of you with 258's around 86 models has run across this same thing i have on my Eagle. First ill say that this is the correct belt according to NAPA. The problem is it is a very narrow belt running the altanator.(no air conditioning on my car either)And the altanator pully is also narrow,but the crank and water pump pulleys are somewhat wider and the belt will not long after installing begin riding on the bottom of crank and water pump pulley groove and start slipping no matter how tight i tension it.I know it sounds like a alt. mismatch but it came from the factory this way.I thought about changing alt. pulleys but when i check the wider pulley type belt against my crank and water pump,that belt is a bit to wide for them.So i seemed blocked either way i go
A brand new belt wears out in a few months the way it is.
Anyone have any idea's ? The only thing i can think of is changing all the pulleys,alt/water pump/crank with ones from another 258 the takes a wider belt,That is another question, IS their 258's with a wide belt on a engine without AC? you know,looking for yard donors is slim to begin with anyway.
Also does a 258's crank pulley unbolt from the damper? AHA TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:21 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Alt. belt design/size prob

I think there is a difference in belts. The belts on my '79 CJ-7 are different than the '85. It might be that the a.i.r. pump is different. Out in the real world there are "4L" (1/4 inch wide) and "3L" (3/16 inch wide) belts. My $.02.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Alt. belt design/size prob

Only one problem with that theroy,my 86 dont have a air pump,it had that pulse? system,cant remember what it was called now,anyway,and i forgot to mention that no ar pump was on it with the water pump and crank one size and the altanator another size,and all the parts are original,then what,did the factory mismatch the alt. ? I spose the only thing to do
is to take the extra wide belt alt. and go to the parts store and try to fit something up that fits all pulleys better.Seems i have 1/4 alt. and 3/8 crank and water pump??.Anyone , did AMC ever use a wider yet belt on a 258, like 7/16 -1/2 ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode