Power-traxx vs. Det. Soft Locker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Power-traxx vs. Det. Soft Locker

Power Traxx vs. Detroit Soft Locker
Pros Cons etc. - beyone those listed in the catalog descriptions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Power-traxx vs. Det. Soft Locker

Powertrax makes a number of lockers.... which one r you talking about?

What size tires and what axles will you be running with?

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:10 PM

If you are talking about the Lock rite vs the Detroit ez locker, they are virtually identical to the point that I don't see how Detroit got around the lock rite patent. Find the best price and go from there. The both behave the same on and off road so everything is a wash other than price. If you are talking Soft locker- it is much stronger since it replaces the carrier as well and is built more HD. It is usually more expensive to buy and install, usually has to be installed by a shop. The lock rite is cheaper to buy and can be installed at home if you have even a basic mechanical ability. I run both types on my 2 vehicles and they seem to behave the same on and off road-ratcheting sound going around corners and slight jerkiness if you try to coast around corners. They lock up fine off-road and I haven't had a single problem with either one, although the Detroit is said to be bullet proof and the lock rite slightly weaker than a Soft locker.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anytime you use a locker that uses the stock carrier, you are talking weakness. The Detroit Locker is the only way to go for brute strength, I
have one in the rear of my CJ-7. And "Softlocker", that's really kinda funny and I think it is just a marketing ploy, they claim they made the
original Detroit Locker/NoSpin a little street friendlier, mine still acts just like a Detroit Locker, and I love it! You sure know its back there!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Friend (CHARLIE YJ-7) has the Detroit version of the Lock Right and claims it is much noisy than the lockright.

THought i would pass this on.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

wow mangler.. i couldn't imagine ANYTHING more noisy than the lockrite i have it pops and creaks and grinds..WAY more than my detroit nospin.
i have the "new" detroit in the front, and the older one in the back.. they seen identical..even the noise(which is very little).
i had a brand new lockrite for a dana 44 sitting here, but wife refused to let me put it in her tj after hearing the one in my other cj, and i don't blame her...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

woh now your compare it to a NO SPIN i am compared to there EASY LOCKER which is a lock right rip off. 2 totally different beasts here. Ask Chu for more details.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Lockright in the front of my TJ and cant feel it onroad. I can hear it however. When Im turning corners it clicks but I have to have the radio off to notice it.

Comparing it to the EZ Locker.... same design and both can use the others parts. Some say the Lockright is machined better and uses higher grade metals.

The new Detriot Softlocker is the way to go if you are a serious crawler.

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

right mangler.. i got that, but the point was.. if it's gunna do all that, why not go with a serious locker anyway...
actually.. i trhink i'm gunna put one of those new cable lockers from ox-traxs in the front of the tj.......

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2000, 10:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Power-Trax no slip, I have it and there is no comparison to their lock-rite. Very quiet on clicks occasionally on sharp corners or reverse to forward. Here are two reveiws. I bought mine from drivetrain Direct. http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...x_tj/index.htm http://www.drivetraindirect.com/powertrax_review.htm
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode