Roll cage kits - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 02:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Roll cage kits

Between Smittybilt and Kentroll, I was wondering who makes a more complete kit to bolt in or do both of them just come with the basic spreader bar and front hoop with option of frame tie in kit? I already have a kit in my jeep but it is not that safe looking, a home brew job that I hit my head on while driving, it came with the jeep and is better than nothing, other than it might crush my head in a bad rollover. I decided to go ahead and get a nice bolt in kit and the tie it into the frame. Also, those little tiny "gussets" that you see in the Summit racing catalogues, do those really ad extra strength? I was wondering if it was necessary to ad a bar that would go in front of the dash on the jeep to reinforce the front hoop, or would it just be a good idea?
THANX, Yall have never let me down.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 03:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Roll cage kits

We just finished tieing ALEC78CJ's rollcage to the frame of his 78 CJ-7. We used the factory rollbar, and he bought a kentrol kit and a tie in kit i think from four wheel drive hardware...message him to find out for sure. Its got the front hoop, and two spreader bars. You need to cut all of the tubes to length, and modify the frame mounts a little bit too. Hes got a new glass body on it, so we used little slice of that rubber roll thats used for body mounds on the fiberglass tubs that you can buy from 4wdhw, to allow a little bit ove movement. The cage is totally tough, and i hope he never has to use THIS one! But if he does, it think he'll make out ok. The Kentrol kit is very sturdy, and when properly tied to the frame, should make any rollover survivable...just my 2 cents...

mike

98 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Sport Plus, 5.9L 360, auto, Locked, 3.92s, BFG A/T KOs, tows my CJ-7.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:01 AM

Yep, the roll cage (Roll Over Protection System) is done...for now! The kit that kentrol makes is pretty good. You'll need to do
some trimming but overall, I'd recommend it. The front hoop is bent so that it doesn't interfere with your feet. Just remember
that you'll need to put some sort of rubber bushing between the plates and the body to allow for flex. We cut bushings
about 3/16" from that rubber body mount thing that I got from 4wd hardware with my 'glass body. I hope that I dont
ever need to test it out! A big thankyou to FlMudCJ for his increasingly better welding skills!

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alec,
Is the Kentrol caged designed for roll overs? I know I've seen some with warning that say they aren't to be used as roll over protestion? Thank Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>I know I've seen some with warning that say they aren't to be used as roll over protestion?
***** This is said by EVERY SINGLE manufacture out there because of Liability but they know damn well what people use them for.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 05:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am happy (so far..fingers crossed) with my Kentrol front bar and tie to frame kit (only completed the front tie to frame so far). I think I will eventually add a cross bar at dash level and run a bar from the front bar beside the driver and passenger seat back to the rear bar. Also, Id like to add some bar to protect the rear seat area too. Probably a winter job. Im going to have to probably drop my fuel tank and hitch/bumper to add the tie to frame on the rear.

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I forgot, Kentrol will cut the front hoop in two pieces and provide a splicer bar to re-connect if you want to save on shipping. I know the bar was cheaper getting from 4wd hardware but they wont cut the bar. So compare shipping costs. Shipping on a whole bar from Kentrol Inc. was as much as the bar itself!!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As we sit here I'm having the Kentrol kit installed. They are also modifying the rear supports for back seat protection, hoops rather than straight down and an angle. The price was right and it seems like it is of decent quality

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 05:09 PM

Boston Mangler is right. They can't put "roll bar" in their catalogs because they might as well put their lawyers name next to the
picture! Shipping is pricey, but overall is was cheaper to order then mess with buying straight stock and finding someone to bend it.
Most people turned their heads when I asked about it anyway.

Alec

'78 CJ7 258 T18/dana 20 dana 30/amc 20 w/ mosers & lockrights
'glass body tied in full cage

http://members.aol.com/fastflyn31/page1.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Got my Jeep back today with the cage installed, turns out they used Smittybilt, not Kentrol. We ran the front spreaders down the middle, about 8 inches apart, cut off the stock supports for the stock hoop and made Wrangler early 90s style hoops that attach right at the bend. Had a place called Truck Treats in Farmington do it, one of our club members works there. Best part was the whole thing installed, with the fabbed rear hoops only came to $260. Looks pretty slick, I'll post some pics later, the rear conversion is especially nice since the kids are getting bigger.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode