what to use for a snorkel??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

what to use for a snorkel???

I have a 79 cj-5 with a 304/t150/d20 combo. It has an Edelbrok intake with a holley 4 barrel carb. What would be the smallest diameter pvc pipe to use without hurting the air intake volume? Someone told me that I could get away with a 2" pipe, but that seems kinda small. What do you guys think? Thanks

Keith

ITS GOOD ENOUGH [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://dreamwater.com/ironpines/
http://www.hagars4wd.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what to use for a snorkel???

Ive done a little bit of research on this and it seems that 2 inches is usually the way to go....thats what Im going to use....just havent found what Im going to use to make the end that goes through the body to look flush(I mean like some sort of grommit) since I dont want to mess up on the cutting and dont want it looking nasty....if you have any ideas Id be very apreciative

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]<font color=blue> Boldly going where no jeep has gone before!!</font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey guys,

I have a 304 with a homemade snorkel. I ran the 2" PVC pipe and flex hose. Take a look at my page for info.

http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/Pr...y_snorkel.html

In order to get it through the fender I cut a large enough hole for the whole elbow to get through. Than I used a piece of tubing and put a slit down the center of one side. I used that as a grommet. So far It works great.

If you need some more pictures (the one on the site is dark) let me know and I will send you something when I am home.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:11 AM
I Do This For The Glory

There is something called "Link Seal" and you can find it at a plumbling supply house. Then there's the Fernco, which you can find at any hardware store. You can also use Flanges, and bolt one side to the other with a gasket and the body metal in the middle. This will also create a wateright seal. I have some 3" Schedule 80 PVC I'm hanging onto for just this purpose. As to mounting, you can get the Split Ring clamps that use threaded rod to hold it in place, they can also be found at plubming supply houses. I have plumbed a ton with Sch 80 PVC, it's rugged, thick, gray, and holds up well. Sch 40 or 35 should work well also as Sch 80 is hard to find and a little expensive.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grommet? what about a rubber grommet from a gas tank filler tube?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One other idea. A bunch of people in our club have given it some thought to run the snorkel into the cowl through the firewall into that vent in front of the windshield. Just another idea instead of cutting the fender.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That doesn't seem like a very good idea to me. If the water splashes up and over the hood, guess where it's going? I like the idea of into the cab at the very least, but I still prefer going up as high as possible. I have some pics of a friend going windshield deep in water, no problems, with his stock setup, the way you described it, he'd have had problems. Before the external cage idea (still in the idea stage), I had planned on running the 3" pipe through the cab and going up next to the roll bar. I still might, it'd be protected, wouldn't be in the way too much (between the seat/outside of jeep), and would still serve it's purpose. The stock roll bar would be a great place to anchor to as well.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your right, It wouldn't be a good spot unless its done better than you assumed. You wouldn't mount it at the bottom of the vent, You would mount it higher inside and if any water did go in there, It would drain out before it even got to the snorkel. Heck, if you get that much water in there do what others have done in their air boxes - put a windshield fluid pump and mount that on a switch. You go deep- put it on.

I had a few friends get smart and put their snorkels inside their jeeps.. They hated it. Its another noise you need to listen to. My snorkel sucks air pretty loud. I can hear it as I am driving and its outside my window. you put that inside and your going to get tired of it real quick in my opinion.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 01:02 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I hadn't considered the sucking air noise. Is it really noticeable up near the windshield?

It also seems that the snorkel inlet at the vent location wouldn't do much compared to the stock location. How does it work? A washer pump? Would that take care of the volumes of water in the collection system? It seems like it would be too small. What about a bilge pump from a boat with a float switch and tied into the jeeps battery system?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, Mine isn't all that bad but I can hear it. I have heard some really wine! Just keep that in mind if you still want it inside.

A boat pump would be great.

My snorkel has worked out well so far.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode