Johnson Valley Fun - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Johnson Valley Fun

This past Saturday, I went out to Johnson Valley with two other rigs from our club to run and work on a couple of little used trails. We had a blast. Lots of time spent staring at nothing but blue sky in the windshield or nasty rocks in the door opening. One guy in the group broke an axleshaft early in the day and had to go the rest of the day on three wheels, my other friend suddenly couldn't seem to keep his toyota running. After some underhood investigating, we discoveredd that he had been twisted up so much in one spot that a pulley had cut a hole in the air intake hose on his EFI unit. Duct tape works wonders. I was having a great day until about 2 in the afternoon. From 2 until 6 I ended up cutting sidewalls on 3 of my BFG's. I used my spare, plugged the heck out of another and ended up pulling a 33 off of my buddy's wheel and mounting it on one of my wheels so I could get out. Needless to say the drive home was a bit odd with a 33 on one corner and my 35's everywhere else. I think this has been the last straw for me with BFG. THis makes 10 BFG sidewalls in 6 months. I am sick of changing tires on the damn trail. I know Johnson valley is hard on tires, but I have NEVER gone through 3 sidewalls in one day out there and I am in Johnson valley very often. Hell, my Kumho's hook up on the rocks as well as the BFG and the cost less. I never went through as many either. Anybody else having sidewall problems with BFG lately or am I just extremely unlucky? Well, at any rate, we had a great day of wheeling and got a lot of work done on a trail that we hope to have ready by mid winter/early spring. It will definitely live up to the Johnson Valley reputation.

Axlesupagain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
98 TJ 6.25" lift, 35" BFG's D44/D30 detroits,
96 XJ 4.5" lift, 31"BFG's 8.25/D30,lockright
http://home1.gte.net/lrgreen2/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 11:46 PM
sas87yj

Re: Johnson Valley Fun

i never ran bfg's but i believe the sidewall plys(3) are just layered on top of each other. goodyear i believe cross-hatch theirs.

i know you are an EXTREME 4 wheeler from your previous pics.
have you considered the goodyear mt's?

i looked at them but too agressive for me. i bought some goodyear at/s. little more agressive than the firestone atx's i replaced due to the re-call. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the new Goodyear MT/R's quite a bit. I am waiting for them to come out with the 37" version before I by them. I am adding an inch of lift so that I can move up from my 35's. Until then I guess I'll just run the Kumho's cause they work pretty well and they aren't as expensive as the BFG's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:14 AM
sas87yj

how are you going to get the other inch?

body lift?

how does your rig ride on pavement? totally looks cool![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I will be pulling out the 4.5" rubicon springs and the .75" spacers and and going with the 6" Rubicon springs and .5" spacer for roughly 1.25" increase in suspension lift. Of course this also means longer shocks and some changes to trackbar mounts and so on.

As for the ride on pavement, this is my daily driver, I have had it for 2.5 years and I drive it for work and to 4 wheeling events all over the southwest. 93,000 miles on it and I have no complaints. Even with the detroits front and rear it handles very well. 'course, I have been driving jeeps for almost 20 years and this TJ is a cadillac compared to my old flat fenders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode