CJ VS. Wrangler springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

CJ VS. Wrangler springs

I am soon going to swap out my current pro comp lift springs with a better riding set and was thinking of swapping in the wider Wrangler front springs. Now I've heard that at stock height Wrangler springs are flater than my CJ springs. So would a 4" lift set of Wrangler springs lift my CJ-5 4", or would it be slightly less? Also does any one have any info on the springs ratings between the 2 Jeeps springs. I've got a winch on the front and tire carrier and dual jerry can mount on the rear, so I don't want to overload Wrangler springs if they are allready softer than CJ's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CJ VS. Wrangler springs

Not an answer, just a question. Have you taken your Jeep out with the Pro-comp springs and really worked the suspension. The reason I ask is that I have Pro-comps on my CJ-7, have a winch and a 33" spare, and after wheeling hard for about a year I actually like the Pro-comps. They don't sag, flex like crazy, and the vehicle is very stable. Softer springs with the load you have may very well sag more than you like. Just a suggestion.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 09:05 PM
mindbender

Excellent question. I hope you get some informative responses.

Mindbender 85CJ7 I258 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 40 head ported polished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Jacobs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 31" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 999 insulated hard top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

The main reason I want to swap springs is that the pro comps are 2.5" lift and I run 2" lift shackles to clear my tires. I want to run 4" lift springs and the confer hd shackles. I have had the pro comps on for about 5 years now and the ride is not the real reason for the swap it is being done to elminate the long shackles. When my Jeep is fully loaded with camping gear etc it rides ok so I can only lower the rate a little that is why I asked if the Wrangler rate was much lower, if it is I can't use them. I figured since I was going to swap in 4" lift springs I might as well upgrade the front springs to the wider Wrangler style at the same time. Also I was thinking of using the Superlift 4" super ride springs, anyone know if these will take the extra weight of a loaded Jeep or will it be riding on the bump stops?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of the manufacturers have suggested weight for their springs. You might try contacting the mfrs you are interested in and see what they suggest. They would know what kind of feedback they've gotten on their various packages. I know some of them list different springs for ht and st.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 07:21 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Superlift springs are STIFF. I have the 4", HD in front and superride in rear, and after wheeling a year, I loaded the bed (Scrambler) with rocks on the farm, moving them to another location, the rear end never sagged! I was a little disappointed needless to say. With a loaded jeep, they should work fine if it's being "worked". I think part of my problem was the light weight of the rest of the vehicle at the time. I'm interested to see how it works now with all the extra weight from the mods.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode