HEI in a 87YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEI in a 87YJ?

Will a HEI ingition work in the 87YJ. What else needs to be done. What about the computer, will it still work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:45 PM

Re: HEI in a 87YJ?

I put an HEI in my '89 YJ with the 258. Going with the Ford TFI upgrade would be cheaper, easier, and more reliable...but I didn't know about it back then and I think the HEI is much better for running underwater.

You need to get a HEI distributor from a Chevy 250 I-6 engine. I got mine out of a '78 Nova. Replace the driven gear on the bottom with a driven gear from an AMC V-8 (304, 360, etc...) and replace the standard parts like cap, rotor, coil, wires, weights, etc. You may also want to chip in for an adjustable vacuum advance for more tune-ability. Installing it is like installing any other distributor, here is instructions on what to do: http://www.geocities.com/sycho15_2000/ignition_woes.htm. The only wire you will need to hook back up is the black one.

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C! Finally, it runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and leaks oil [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] and water [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 09:10 PM

Re: HEI in a 87YJ?

First of all, I'm assuming you have the AMC 258 I-6 engine....?...
You gave no details, and you didn't fill out your bio, so there is no way for us to tell what engine you have, and there is a HUGE difference between the I-6 and V-8 conversions or upgrades...
---------------------------------

Actually, to do the GM HEI CONVERSION (conversion, not upgrade...) correctly, you will have to install a power relay, or you are wasting time and money.
The GM HEI is a power hog, and you are severely limiting the potential of the GM HEI if you don't supply it with a 10 Ga. wire supply, and no ignition wire in your stock ignition system is 10 Ga., so you will have to wire from scratch, or install a relay.
Done correctly, it's far from a "One Wire Install"....

The Ford upgrade is more powerful, more reliable, and more water tight if done correctly, and it's a lot easier and cheaper to do that the GM HEI conversion, and it won't interfere with your 'computer' or on board emissions systems.
----------------------------------

If you decide to go with the GM HEI, get one from about a '76 Chevy I-6 pickup that has the remote coil, so you get the ignition coil out of the cap.
(Yes, there is such an animal, and it uses a properly designed E-core coil)

Use a premium cap and rotor with brass terminals, and reasonable plug wires...
----------------------------------

If you want the alternative to the GM HEI, let me know and I'll re post the upgrade article again for your stock ignition. I will need to know if you have a V-8 or I-6.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode