crazy clutch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

crazy clutch

I just spent the last two days working on what I thought to be a clutch linkage problem. The bellcrank seemed to have cracked the fire wall where it bolts on, so I got a large piece of 1/4 inch steel and made a new platform for it. You see, as I came home Friday, the clutch all the sudden would not disengage the transmission. I just figured it was the flex in the fire wall, but after I fixed that, it doesn't matter how tight I adjust the linkage-the clutch still will not disengage. I can see the throwout bearing pushing on the pressure plate and everything looks alright. I'm really fed up and hope someone out there can give me some good advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:06 PM
Old Hand

Re: crazy clutch

I had a similar problem with my old toyota celica, I replaced the slave cylinder master cylinder and that didn't fix it so I tore into the clutch its self and that was the problem, one of the rubber bushings in the clutch had came out and got wedged in between the fly wheel and clutch and would not disengage, a new clutch solved the problem. Hope this helps......... good luck!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Skeleton-guy has it nailed I would say. A piece of lining has peeled off and is holding the clutch engaged. Try this.....with your clutch pedal down to the floor in third gear, and at a fairly low speed for that gear, floorboard the throttle. The huge torque generated will cause the clutch to slip and will propably chew up the debris and spit it out. It is, however, going to be time for a new clutch very soon.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

just trying to get a little higher on the list

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:32 PM
Carey

Is the pressure plate a three finger Borg and Beck style or is it a Diaphram style with a bunch of little fingers on the pressure plate? I had one go out on a Wrangler that only had a couple of the small fingers on the diaphram bent. It was just enough to keep the clutch disc from engageing and never fully disengageing the clutch to shift gears.
(I learned the hard way that you never shift gears when you are stuck in mud up to you fenders.)
Good luck.

Carey Smith
71 C101
97 TJ(traded wife's Durango)
95 Bronco that I traded the YJ for
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I have the diaphram type with all of the little fingers. What gets me though is that the jeep ran fine for a solid hour around town. Then I came home and let it sit in neutral while I moved some crap out of my parking spot and when I got back in to put in into gear, no dice. It's like the sky fell with no warning. I haven't even beaten the thing in a couple of weeks...I'm talking about my CJ-7.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode