Gauge Backlighting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 02:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gauge Backlighting

All of a sudden I've lost the backlighting on all of my gauges (clock, speedo, tach, volt, oil pressure). They still work so there's still some power going to them, and the turn signals on the speedo light up, but all other gauge lights are dead and it all happened at once. Headlights/running lights still turn on so no problem there. I've twisted the headlight switch to operate the dimmer, but that's not it. Is there some fuse or relay downstream of the headlight switch that I need to check, or is it just time for a new headlight switch. All gauges are stock as is the headlight switch. '85 CJ7
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:08 AM
Mudman

Re: Gauge Backlighting

I had that happen in my '78CJ. Get a voltmeter and check to see if there is current coming out of the headlight switch to the gauge lights,check all the fuses. Mine turned out to be the switch, the reostat inside to dimm the lights had gone bad so I didnt have any lights, the switch is easy to change but check it first.

if its clean, I aint having fun!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:55 AM

The reostat in the light switch is actually the GROUND for the gauge lights.
First check the fuse to see if the lights have power.
If they have power, short the wire coming into the switch to ground (see attached diagram showing the connector as you would look at it viewing toward the switch ,, It is the "B" slot)and see if this will light the lamps.
If so, the problem is the switch.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-205636-LightSwitchWiring.jpg (59.7 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:34 AM
Way Outta Control

The dimmer poriton of the light switch does provide power for the dash lamps. Anoher problem that often crops up is that the rehostat will "gum" up. The wiper will be riding on a film of grease.... dirt.... etct. and does not make electrical contact with the varriable resistor. If this is the case spray down the rehhostat with LPS, WD40, etc. ... something to degrease the varriable resistor. Most people have VCR and Casette Tape cleaners that have a little bottle of liquid for cleaning... that works too... and in a pinch, so does a good old bottle of aftershave! Anyway, after you degrease the rehostat and get it nice an clean then put a light coat of 3in1 oil or another light machine oil on the rehostat. It sounds kind of crazy to degrease and then grease again, but believe me... it does work.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode