hard top back on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

hard top back on?

For those of you in northern or high altitude climates, when do you usually put the hard top back on? We've been getting frequent afternoon thundershowers and it's getting chilly in the mornings. (upper 30s) I put mine on today, after Herculining it. I'm sure it will be warmer, but I like it much better topless!

'86 CJ-7, 258, T-176, Dana 44 w/TrueTrac, 4:11s, Weber, HEI, Borla header, Warn HS9500i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 03:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: hard top back on?

Some things are just better topless.........wait, uh.....nevermind.

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in northwestern Washington state, and I was wondering the same thing. If I wait to put it on for another month or two, I'm sure the weather will start getting terrible, but if I put it on now, we'll probably get an indian summer. Tough choice, so maybe I'll just keep using the soft top. A little colder, but more choices.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:42 AM
Way Outta Control

If any of you install your hard top and cause me to have 8 months of snow.... we're going to have words! Mine stays off till the first snow... and in Wisconsin.. that could be next week [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img].

Good Jeepin'

Larry

Last edited by LEVE; 03-24-2009 at 08:46 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 10:59 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

Where did you get those hinges for your hard top Larry? They look like they would save a lot of time.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im still running topless..just wearing a big coat in the mornings. Im thinking though, with these afternoon thundershowers, I better at least put the bikini top on. I really dread putting the soft top on for winter..good thing for the good heater!!!

MONTANA the last great place!!!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't usually put the hardtop on until October. But I'm in Southeast Missouri. It is still very hot!!

John
89 YJ-350,etc.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 12:35 PM
Way Outta Control

Those are the clamps from a Quick-Kit. It was the second upgrade I did to the CJ. The clamp clamps down on a piece of metal that I have pop rivited to the windhield frame. The kit also comes with 8 thumbscrews. The tinnerman type nut will be pop riveted into the top of the tub ledge. Remove the 8 thumbscrews, pop the clamp and I can have the top Hoisted and I'm driving away in under two minutes.... it was well worth the expense!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know how you feel, I just put my soft top on yesterday. I still want to drive my Jeep to work in the mornings, and it is getting a little bit chilly. The afternoons are still awssome, but it seems like we get afternoon thundershowers, and I really don't like sitting in wet seats for the ride home. If we have an Indian Summer, I can still zip out the back and side windows, and still have that open air feeling. Not as good as going topless, but better than driving my truck. I can't wait for the first heavy snow, so I can do some challenging wheeling again, I havn't done anything challenging since Moab in April.

Thanks, Ray

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It was 40 degrees last night, supposed to be near the frost temperature tonight (freezing). Friday it was in the mid 80's, a heat wave, Saturday the cold moved in and settled down. It never got above 60 degrees all weekend. We're putting the hard top back on this weekend, every year we wait and put it on in November, but we've done a lot less wheeling this year and decided to just do it now. It's 53 degrees at 9AM here now, warming up.

I put the Scrambler top on a quick latch system, so it takes 30 seconds to undo the top, have you guys thought of that for your tops? Reid Tool carries some latches that have a 1,500 pound hold capacity (700 pounds working) that go cheap. I bought boat latches for the Scrambler, but it's a lot smaller, they work well and have been on for years, no problems.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode