Can a rookie change the rear main oil seal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can a rookie change the rear main oil seal?

I am wondering if I should attempt to try and change my rear main oil seal or take it to a mechanic. My 1990 YJ with 4.2L has an annoying oil drip at the rear of the motor. It seems to have gotten progressively worse over the last six months. I have limited mechanical experience (read this as I am a parts changer - not a mechanic). Because of work and school I have limited time. I might have one full day off every two weeks, so I would like to get this done in one day. Can I expect any time consuming obstacles? Is this a technical procedure? I do not like paying someone else to do work for me unless it is just beyond my ability. It is becoming harder to find someone willing to do the job right. Any suggestions of opinions?

Depewtee '78 CJ-5 (for sale)
'90 YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Can a rookie change the rear main oil seal?

From one rookie to another get the chiltons manual out it should show you step by step how to do it with out messing anything up.

Goodluck
Kevin

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 10:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is not beyond your ability, if you think you can do it, go for it. You may have to undo one of the motor mounts that is in the way, but there is nothing technical about it. Just make sure you get the seal in straight and don't damage it, my son did the same procedure on an old Bronco a while back nicked the edge of the seal, leaked worse than before. Not fun to have to do twice in one day!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 05:07 PM

Most of the oil leaks at the rear of the engine can be traced to the valve cover gasket! Make absolutly sure of the leaks source before you go down below! The valve cover gasket is alot easier and quicker to change than the rear mail seal. I would definatly suspect the valve cover as being the culprit, especially since your jeep is a 90 it probably has the plastic valve cover.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 06:39 PM
sas87yj

i agree with bob!
my 87 was leaking down near the rear main seal. i thought it was the seal. i was doing other maintenance under the hood and noticed the valve cover bolts were real loose and oil leaking around the area. i tightened the bolts and soon thereafter noticed NO LEAKS under jeep and that was in feb. no leaks since![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 07:37 PM

I have done it myself before and I am not even close to being much of a mechanic. It was on a Subaru and I actually got the damn thing to stop leaking oil completely...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 11:00 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TrailJeep and I replaced the rear main on his 97 TJ in about 5 hours and we were working slow. I don't know how the exhaust is run on your YJ but you might need to disconnect it at the manifold. Get the manual, jack stands, the seal, an oil pan gasket(or RTV) and a torque wrench and have at it. Shouldn't be to hard. Have fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode