Looking for EGR part number - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Looking for EGR part number

Want to replace the EGR on my '79 AMC 360 but I need the part number for the thing. Can't find the part number on the one thats on the engine now. None of the discount auto stores keep them on hand(that I have found), and there are about 14 different part numbers for this year...anyone have one with a number? Thanks!

78 CJ5 w/360
"measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, and cut it with an axe"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Looking for EGR part number

I have been down this road more than one time. The EGR valve number is on the face of the valve. (At least all of mine were that way) Having said that, all of the general parts stores that I have tried do not have a listing for them. Bottom Line- you have to go to the dealer and get hosed! Good Luck!

Kriss

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 12:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The one we bought to fit our AMC V8 304 was NAPA part number 2-3045 Echlin.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Bingo!!! Assuming that your 304 is the same year as your Jeep, that should be the one I need...thanks CJDave.

78 CJ5 w/360
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 01:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] They come with an array of "regulator" washers. Our smog guy sez to use the little washer, so that's just what we did.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...and that worked for you? I tried that route once with no success; but it might have been a different kit(about $20). There wasn't a washer with a small enough hole in it! When I installed it, it was quite evident that it was getting too much air. The valve that I am taking off doesn't have a washer to regulate...it has a hole about the size of a pencil lead on the nipple where you plug in the vac hose.

78 CJ5 w/360
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 12:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

NAPA was one of the shops that turned me away, they said it wasn't even listed. I think that I will have to print this and take it to them!

Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 04:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Up here in the Gold Rush country, the gold is almost all gone so guys have to make their living some other way, and there are some up here who understand that, and when we go in the auto parts store (NAPA) they get in the compooter and they FIND IT so then they can SELL it and then they will get paid for working there. No sleepy guys in that place, OR sleepy gals either. The chicks know parts too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:02 PM

This is my second try at getting this posted ,had it all typed out and got bumped off ...man don't that pi$$ ya off.
Anyhow the washers that they give you with the new EGR's are to take the place of the restrictor plate that looked like "just a gasket"according to my 1980 TSM
"The restrictor plate is located between the exhaust back pressure sensor and intake manifold mounted between gaskets,the restrictor plate is calibrated to a particular engine /exhaust system and should not be altered "
that gasket looking thing is it and should have a number on it ...so if you mike or measure that restrictor plate you should use a washer of equal diameter,or just use the old one.
I just used a generic EGR valve and guessed at the washer size since I did not have this info on hand at the time.
there was most likley nothing wrong with my old one just the hole going into the manifold had peen plugged ,looked real professional too metal plug with a sealer on it ,I was impressed,and baffeled at the same time,
If you dont have your old restrictor plate around maybe someone on the board has one laying around for a similar engine and could hook ya up
good luck

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

U, now that you have mentioned it...there is a metal gasket looking plate...and a gasket that the EGR sits on. I will look at it this week and see if I can't find a number on it before I go to NAPA with Daves number. Thanks.

78 CJ5 w/360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode