Carb or Fuel injection on Chevy 350 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Carb or Fuel injection on Chevy 350

I have a 80 CJ7 with a swapped in Chevy 350, with a Holley 600cfm carb. I was thinking of getting the slosh tubes and lowering the floats when we take it to Colorado next year for a vacation. Will this work alright, or should a just buy a junkyard TBI. I don't mind having a carb running around here, works very well.

We just came back from Colorado about a week ago, didn't know what to expect so we left my Jeep at home and rented one over there. We loved that place, thinking of moving there in the future. Heard a lot of talk about carbs and high altitudes, that got me scared.

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 10:44 AM

Re: Carb or Fuel injection on Chevy 350

TBI is always a good idea for fuel economy alone.
If you aren't swayed by a little wiring, then have at the fuel injection.
It's a lot more dependable in the long run, and should never need tuning.

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wiring shouldn't be too hard with a wiring harness from Summit. I'm going to keep my eyes open, and call some junk yards. What should I expect to pay for all the parts I need? Thanks for the reply TeamRush

Just a farmer, who drinks to much coffee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 06:04 PM
Keyboard Implanted

In less time than a heartbeat, I'd select the TBI! When you go to the junkyard, do yourself a huge favor, get a complete and UNCUT wiring harness. All in all there are about 20 wires needed. Six of the 20 wires will for the ALDL connector. The other 14 or so are for either ECM power requirements or for sensor. Make sure you get everyting, ALDL connector, air cleaner, fuel lines, exhaust manifolds with air tube fittings, all emissions stuff. It's just a real pain in the butt, to seek out one or two items that you could have gotten on the first trip to the junk yard. There is no such thing as to much "junk" when it comes to retro-fitting a fuel injection system.

I would recommend getting an after-market VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor). The VSS will reset the IAC (Idle Air Control) once the vehicle reaches 35 MPH.

Make sure you get make, model, and year down for the vehicle your getting the TBI system from. Knowing the make, model and year will help in getting replacement parts easy, not to mention the very important WIRING DIAGRAM!
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode