better wipers for CJ's? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

better wipers for CJ\'s?

Am I the only one who isn't satisfied with the wipers on my CJ? I have never seen this asked before, so here goes. Whats the chances of a later model, YJ, TJ, wiper arm fitting on my CJ? I figure the windshields are almost identical, and with the lower 'at rest' position less susceptable to being torn off by errent branches. not to mention easier availability at the parts store for wipers.
BTW, when I re-retubbed my CJ, I went with YJ style squirters, it was an easy installation and they work WAY better than the CJ post style
Bob in MA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 08:59 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: better wipers for CJ\'s?

Email Jo-Jo! About a year and a half ago he modified some CJ wipers by using anohter automakers spring and arm mated to the OEM CJ piviot. It took some doing but he said that it worked great. I'm in the process of doing the same thing with mine, using the OEM piviot and some wiper arms off of a Ford LTD II. This should give modified wiper these advantages:

1. A stronger arm spring. This will keep the wiper up against the windshield at highway speeds.
2. Better winshield cleaning with increased pressure of the wiper arm.
3. Ability to use larger, or more widely avaliable wiper fillers.

Disadvantages that may crop up over time:

1. Increased wiper pressure will deform the winshield frame.
2. Increased wiper linkage wear on the links and bearings.

I am VERY interested in what you've done with affixing the washer tubes to the wiper. Can you describe this better? Pictures?

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 09:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

While we are at it, is there any real difference between the two speeds of a CJ wiper? Is my motor that worn out, or did they ever have any speed? I was going to buy a new motor, but if it's not going to be any faster, I'll just keep my money.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 10:00 PM
Way Outta Control

I've never worked with your year CJ, but the Motor in my 83 has two speeds, fast and faster, with a settable speed. Looking at the harness and schematic there are no switchable windings or anything exotic... just one wire into the motor, one wire out, a case ground and two more wires for the home positioning switch. The control is acomplished by a "black box" under the dash, to the right of the steering column, and the wiper switch. I've never opened the box, but I imagine it's just a couple of trnasistors, scr's and a few other descrete componetnts thrown together to regulate the speed, and provide a "home" pulse for the wipers.

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

no-no, I didn't put the squiters to the wiper arm. Check out a YJ's squirters, I got mine from the dealership and installed them the same way. They work awesome!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I broke a spring on one of mine, and after calling the jeep dealer and finding out they wanted $41.75 a piece, I went to Napa and bought their universal wiper arms P/N 60-751 for $15 each. They have several different ends (where the wiper attaches to the arm) for different setups. There's a curved one just like the stock unit has. Just screw it on with the included screw, attach your wiper, and pop it on your post. They're the same length. It's simple and the things are beefy compared to the stock ones. I can't believe how well they work.

Darren

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 09:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Darren, what year CJ did you do this on? I have a 1980. You replaced the arm with the Napa part and used the original wiper blade on the new arm is that right?

Also waiting for Larry to figure out what other options might work.

John

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

John, it's an '82, and yes I did use the stock wiper blade. Look at your wiper arm at the end where the blade attaches and then look in the bag of parts that comes with the arm and you will find a piece that looks like the stock one. You just have to screw it on. The arm is adjustable for length, but they were right on for my jeep. You might notice that there are only half the splines on the new unit as compared to the stock one, but I think that should be plenty. It's very simple and is a great improvement over stock.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode