HELP! Jeep won't trail w/tow bar - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP! Jeep won\'t trail w/tow bar

I just tried out my tow bar on my CJ5 and the darn thing doesnt trail worth a darn. On corners it tries to go straight and if it does turn it wont straighten out. Kinda scary!! I removed the steering stabilizer thinking that would help but now go.....Any suggestions??

http://www.hi-line.net/~kvoast/Towbar1.JPG
http://www.hi-line.net/~kvoast/Towbar2.JPG

Thanks!!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP! Jeep won\'t trail w/tow bar

As long as you don't have the steering locked in any way the only thing I can think of is if the caster is really off that would possibly keep it from straightening out. I know those big tires make them harder to turn too. I know this might be a silly question but you've got the hubs unlocked right?
Bob

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 05:01 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This is just an ameture guess, but I think you need to take as much weight as possible OFF of the tow vehicle. I think if you experiment with a larger "drop" on your hitch, you might get better results. Basically, I think your tow vehicle is carrying your CJ. Your CJ's front end isn't holding any weight.

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ill have to get the front end checked out too.

I got the hubs unlocked. We were looking at it and wondering if I put another joint to allow each arm to fold inward on a turn, if that wouldnt help??? I dont want to get too many joints on the thing it would allow it to sway around in tow??????

It may just be the tires???

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 08:14 PM

Is this a homemade tow bar? does the tow bar fold up? I think the problem is in the joint at the bumper. It need to move up and down not side by side. by moving sideways it has too much play so vehicle keeps moving forward

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is home made and there is a joint to allow up and down movement as well as side to side, but there has been no side to side movement since the new paint has not been disturbed. In addition, I have the bolts tight at the side to side joint.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 08:55 PM

I had this problem when I built one for a dune buggy. The need for no sidemovement is to follow the tow vehicle. Like a kid in the store with dad, if the tow arm is lose in movement the kid will run everywhere. If you remove the side movement or ( idea just entered head) couple vice grips , clamp a bar from arm to arm, at bumper joint, this will limit side movement, try this. Movement in up and down is O.K.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just went out to look at my towbar. It's an old u-haul ( sshhh ) and it's heavy and doesn't fold but I don't see a whole lot of difference other than mine clamps over the inside edge of the bumper and I've got it adjusted so the arms are just to the outside of the frame rails. I do experience some of your problems on a real tight turn. It will kinda drag on sharp corners but usually straightens right out. You want to keep the bar fairly level between your hitch and the jeeps bumper but you really don't have any weight transfer onto the towed vehicle with a towbar. You can disconnect the towbar at the hitch and as long as it's locked in place it'll just stick straight out. There's no weight on it other than the weight of the bar itself. If you locked the bar, hitched it to your tow truck and then removed the front tires then you would have weight transfer just like a boat or car trailer.
Bob

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 12:09 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

This wont help you out at all but I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of seats you have in that nice looking CJ .Thanks !!!

Jeff

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This problem has nothing to do with your tow bar. You have lift shackles on and this changes the caster angle. If you are anywhere near 0 degrees. It will not follow straight. There is no fix for this other than lower it back to stock setup.(am Im sure you dont want to do that). Have veen down this road before.
Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode