Bumpers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 04:36 PM
joeybcdt

Bumpers

I'm new to the Jeep world. I've only had my CJ7 for about two months. I've been learning a lot from the posts here. Thanks guys. Is anyone familiar with Durango bumpers and tire carrier? Are they hype and frills or are they really worth the steep pricetag? Any other bumper, tire carrrier that ya'll can recommend? I do like the 2" receiver buit in. I took my origonal spare carrier off because all the bouncing and rattling was driving me nutts. Now, I'm running spareless

Thanks,
Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bumpers

<font color=blue>I've not heard anything negative about durango. I know they're strong, and have one helluva warranty. I think there are some called bulletproof bumpers in Santa Barbara, CA, that are just as expensive, but have a bit more of the [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] factor... (that's moonguy speak for cool...)

Lost the website, though. Anyone?

http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:08 PM

When I decided to purchase instead of build, I narrowed it down to three choices; bulletproof (nice but too damn expensive), durango and the 4WDHardware model. I heard some bad things about rattling with the durango unit; plus pricewise it didn't compare with the 4WDH one. I'm satisfied with the 4WD one; it has a very positive latching mechanism, a spring loaded pin to hold it in the open position and is greasable, swinging on a pivot with Timken bearings.

Max

dealing with your Jeep obsession;
the steps - recognition
denial
acceptance?
uhh...screw it, lets go wheelin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:11 PM
Way Outta Control

Joey, get with a local 4X4 Club... and save lots money! One of the guys in that club will be a great welder and willng to help. For less than $100 for materials, a little time, a few root-beer foats and you'll have a not only a great bumper/tire carrier but the pride of knowing you made it yourself... Bragging rights are priceless!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just ordered mine from Kenesaw mtn .This is YJ pricing. Price was$ 325 for carrier and bumper,$35 for air tank,$65 for receiver,$55 shipping cost. http://www.kenmtn.com/ Talk to Kyle Jeff

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm kinda curious what Durango's status is anyway. A couple weeks ago I went to look at one of their bumpers, their retail outlet is closed! The sign on the door said thir mailorder was still operating out of an office downtown, but makes you wonder.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 11:25 AM

I am going to cast my vote for the 4WD Hardware one. it's very solidly built, can take a 35" tire, doesn't rattle, and if you wait till one of the commen 10% sales you can get it for $450.
Bob in MA

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 03:18 PM
joeybcdt

Thanks Jeff and all. Be sure to post what you think about the new bumper after you get it.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode