Anyone redrilled center hole in springs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone redrilled center hole in springs?

I just wondered how the held up. It seems like it would be more apt to break where the old hole is.What kinda bit would you recomend? TIA!! By the way, It's only going to be moved about 1,1/2 inches, so it'll pretty much be on the spring pad I think!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 09:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone redrilled center hole in springs?

Haven't drilled a spring..but, if you're gonna still be on the spring pad, have you considered re-drilling the pad and putting a new bolt in it? Would be much easier than screwing with the spring. If you're gonna be at the very end of it, maybe you could add a bit o' reinforcing to that end, or extend the pad an inch or so...

The jeep is up and runnin...damn...work work fix..the jeep is...damn...work work fix...the jee...damn
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've thought about that,but I'm not real sure thats the answer either.I gotta do some major brain storming when I get home.It'd be nice if you could just cut them and weld them back up HUH!! (and they would be just like new)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 01:33 PM

Here's what MORE sells for a 3/4" or 1" relocation:

Might be worth buying at $15/pair if 1" will do ya' or fabbing up something similar with a 1 1/2" offset.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well,i dont feel so wery of it now that I know somone else has done it.DO you know if they have any drawbacks by doing that?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 01:57 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I have done it both ways - redrilled the hole in the perch to move the axle, as well as redrilling the center pin hole in the springs.

I prefer not to redrill the main leaf. I feel more secure not doing so since you must rely on that leaf for axle location as well as suspension. I do not have a problem re-drilling aux. leaves - if one breaks you will sag a little, but you can still get home. I also prefer to only drill the holes so that the old hole stays under the spring pad and U bolt plate. I feel this adds a bit of security in that that area of the spring is not seeing near the flex forces the rest of the spring sees.

My last 3 sets of front springs and one of my recent rear spring sets I built all used redrilled leaves, and re-drilling the axle perches is a common practice on Toyota front axles.

If it is possible I suggest re-drilling the sprin perch instead. You will aso need to re-drill the hole for the center pin in the U bolt plate the same distance offset, so don't forget that.

As for drilling the holes in spring steel - I have found that the best method is to use a CHEAP masonary bit , do some sharpening of it with a grinder, and use plenty of cutting oil. I have used this method with both drill presses and hand drills - it works and works well [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I did not know plates like the ones shown are available, but something like that looks very simple to make. Be especially careful when using free floating plates like that though (same applied for free floating degree shims) and make sure your U bolts and plates are torqued to spec - the extra pieces increase your chances of the axle moving around on the spring if they were to break or come loose...

Good luck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you have any leads on the springs? I sent you a private e-mail this morning.Did you get it?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 02:11 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Ahh.. that was you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I am saving that for when I get home and can dig through my spring catalogs and see what I can come up with... I haven't forgotten about you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

where did you get books on springs? Thanks for the help, but i wont be back till tues.and I dont have a computer at home.I really wanted to do this springover this weekend.Please post them though,and I'll find them when I get back.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 03:20 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I got my measurements from the Rancho, TrailMaster, and ProComp master catalogs. mainly from lift spring specs, but you can generally work backwards to figure out the approx. stats of stock springs or at least get you a place to start looking/measuring.

I have quite a bit of spring stats on my site, including every lift spring Rancho makes and some of ProComp's springs too (but I don't have all the applications listed). Check it out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode