ProE - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

ProE

This semester I am going to be learning to use ProE, which is Professional Engineer.
It is like Auto CAD, but IMO, it is easier to use and draw on.
It took me 30 seconds to draw a part that would have taken 30 minutes in AutoCAD.
I know that this program was used to generate the roll cage pics, but it can be used to do so much more also.

Does anybody have any good or bad things to say about it?
Let me know what you think about it.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 12:05 PM

Re: ProE

I took a semester of Pre-E (version 20). I got pretty good with it and ended up tutoring a guy in it at the University I was going to (Montana State). Sounds like you already have the program down well, it would take me more like thirty minutes to do the roll cages that have been done recently.

I quite like Pro-E (once I learned how to use it). I do have one problem with the program though....the price. I'm shure there are student version availiable but I know that the versions in the class room are expensive.

By the way Redbeard, where did you learn to use Pro-E, at a U. or on your own?

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pro-E came out several years ago as a challenger to other programs like CATIA (or thats when I heard about it). Its prime attraction was that it incorporated real 3-D paramaterization (ie., dimensional constraints are held in the 3D environment, rather than just printed on a drawing) - whereas CATIA and AUTOCAD basically have/had seperate "environments". In CATIA, you create the 3_D solid, then create "pictures" of that in the "2D", or draw, environment that had all the dimensions on it. If you needed to change the dimension, you had to change the solid, then go delete your dimension, and create a new one. Pro-E was the first to incorporate this all-in one solids operating system where the dimensions were directly linked to the solid. One other note - CATIA and PRO-E are VERY powerful systems and typically arent used in the "desktop" environment. They are more frequently used on servers (for more memory) with special graphics heavy monitors. Designers best utilize them for 3D modeling of large assemblies, rather than individual parts (which AUTOCAD is "usually" used for).

Redbeard, You mentioned that you made a part in 30 seconds....was this in 2D mode? Was it a cube? I'm sure you will find that when you get to know it better, 30 seconds doesn't allow you to do much! I sit here and wait for my machine to process some cammmands for as long as 30 minutes!! (its CATIA)

Liveaxle - what are you studying at MSU? I graduated from there 10 years ago. I miss the hell out of Bozeman. Go have a Meatball Sub at the PB for me!

'99 Ram 4x4 (Mine!)
'00 TJ Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ProE is a good solid (no pun intended...also good for 3D solid part design) software package. Plastic parts that are complex get designed with ProE to allow better control of mold design for plastic injection and fit/clearance with other interfacing parts. Great 3D solid body capabilities. We also use AutoCad and SolidWorks for design here. All good programs that have their place and purpose. So go get all the ProE you can get. It will be valuable education.

BTW, what school are you attending?

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 10:34 PM

Hi RedneckJedi, go Bobcats [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]! I am starting my third year as a mechanical engineering student. Yea, Bozeman is a neat town. I haven't explored the state much, to damn big. I used to go wheeling in Bear Canyon, Hylite Canyon, and Olson Creek Canyon a lot.

What was your field of study while at MSU?

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2000, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

I am currently attending UT-Arlington.
This is the school that Eddie McGee attends.
He is the one on Big Brother with one leg.

I am currently taking the ProE class, so I don't know much about it yet, but I will before the semester is out.
The part I made in 30 seconds was in 3-D mode.
It was basically a cube with the top corners filleted with some different measurements on them.
It was a basic drawing that the prof had us do to start getting used to the program.
I don't know how fast the computers are that we are using, but at times they can be slow too.
Thanks for the info on the program guys.

I was away at the hunting lease coon hunting, and dove hunting this weekend, so I am sorry for the delay in the response.
Take care, and have a good Labor Day.

"I see." the blind man said to the deaf woman.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2000, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ProE (OT)

I was in Mechanical Engineering Technology, graduated back in '91. I work out in Seattle at Boeing. Just to give you an idea, I was in the FIRST drafting course that used Auto-Cad...we've come a long way since then!

Hope those 'Cats can finally grab one from the Griz this year...my bets keep getting bigger and bigger every year!

There's some good 'wheelin' up in Hyalite - we used to "live" up there. Everything from ATV's, snowmobiles, trucks, etc. Do they still let people go into the lake bed in the spring just after the thaw? There was some fun muddin' back there.

Last year on our way back to Seattle (first day of rifle season, I think) we took a detour back up the canyon for a little break. Wandered back up the trails to the SE of the lake. We got back there quite a ways, and found this group of students with a chevy long box high centered. They'd been stuck there for about 3 hours....and they were out of beer! SO after a few chuckles, and chev jokes, I got out my high lift and tug strap and pulled 'em out. Since they were out of beer, I made them denounce Chev and swear to buy Dodge next time! They were actually pretty lucky, 'cause it was about 4:30, and there wasn't anyone else up that side. They would have had a long walk home that night.

'99 Ram 4x4 (Mine!)
'00 TJ Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode