Join Date: Sep 1999
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Dana 30 front knuckles
Many D30 and D44 are basically the same from the knuckle out.(Can be swaped from one to another. The funnest thing about the 44 axle shaft is that it is the same diameter as the 30 from the ujoint out.)
First 76-78 CJ's used a Big Disc setup with 1 1/4 rotors. The parts needed to swap yours to discs are
1) knuckles- your knuckles do not leave enough space for the calipers
2) Caliper mounting plates- this bolted between the knuckle and spindle to hold the caliper
3) Rotors, calipers and pads 76-78
4) Hubs- Pre 82 6 bolt - your hubs do not have a flat back to hold the disc correctly. Disc brake hubs are flat on the back. You can convert yours with an air grinder and 20 minutes(I've done it twice)
5) Spindles- Drum and disc are slightly different. But basically you need to get the correct bearings to make either work with the hubs.
6) Lockouts on the end of the hubs- Your good if you still have the standard issue WARN drum lockouts that were used from 50? to 78.
Best part of all is I have what you need to convert to the Big Disc if your interested.