'68 CJ-5, 225 V-6, Alternator hookup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'68 CJ-5, 225 V-6, Alternator hookup

Help!

I bought this CJ from my neighbor semi-apart. The latest hurdle I have is trying to hook up the voltage regulator and alternator to the rest of the electrical system.

It is a Motorola voltage regulator, with 3 wires coming out. A green/white stripe, black, and gray. I don't know enough to know which is which, where to hook them up, and how to attach to the alternator and the battery.

The alternator is a new one from Checker. It is the same as the original.

Any suggestions or where to find the correct way? I have a Haynes manual which is pretty vague, and I am thinking about getting the Chilton's manual.

madmac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'68 CJ-5, 225 V-6, Alternator hookup

if you can take it back, do it. You will be much happier with an internally regulated delco remy alternator. the delco is much more reliable, cheaper and easier to locate, and wont leave you stranded. If wiring scares you ask for a "one wire alternator", just one wire to the battery and a ground wire to a good ground.
I have been refitting boats, industrial, and construction equipment with delco alternators for 20+ years, I have never had a customer complain about getting a much more reliable product for half the price.
good luck, jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:09 PM

I would have to agree with the delco idea, i rebuild alternators everyday at work, Delco's have to be about the most hard working, trouble free alternators ever built. i personally would recommend something along the lines of an old 10Si delco. it should comfortably run 75 amps, has better bearings (than the cs130 style) and the wiring is not dificult at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to keep the external voltage regulator, I could help you out. I have a 1960 CJ5 with the same engine. I ran into the same problem you have when I bought mine. Email me.

[email protected]ail.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:49 PM

I'll second the use of a delco 10si. Unless you are trying to restore the Jeep to factory original, an upgrade to an internally regulated delco alternator has zero drawbacks. The later CS alternators put out more power, but they are more expensive and harder to rebuild. I have heard they are less tolerant of dirt and water also. The older delcos can practically be rebuilt blindfolded. I used to have a 80 Toyota, and when the alternator went bad in it, and I saw the price of a replacement, it got a delco. They are not difficult to wire up either, and you can easily wire it to use a idiot light (the kind that goes on when the key goes on and then goes out after the vehicle is started if the alternator is charging) or not.

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 12:14 PM

Quit thinking about the Chilton manual, they are pathetic. For example you might be working on a Toyota engine electrical problem and the manual will refer you to a picture of a Chrystler V6. OK, so it's unlikely you'll be working on a Toyota but they don't have enough pictures for all the vehicle makes.

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 11:46 PM

Ditto on the 10SI, have the parts house take out a couple with different clock positions and see what fits best. It is all direct bolt in, forget all the external stuff will all the wires. The motorola alternator throws out 30 amps, the 10SI gives 63. Easy hookup, buy the two spade connector, the white wire connects to your idiot light, the red wire goes directly to the battery, and then run a wire from the charging post on the back to your fuse box, not the battery. That simple. It is a very popular conversion, worked great on my 70 Jeepster, and several others I know of.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode