I'm leaving the board! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I\'m leaving the board!

No big speech, I just don't feel like I belong here anymore......

I had come to grips with the fact that there will always be OT talk on this board. That's not so bad, but when it appears that certain agendas, political crap, and bashing of certain groups of people is going to continue, then I think it's time for me to just go.

To me this is a community, but it is now a community that I don't feel comfortable in. Because I "chose" to participate in this community, I felt compelled to counter bashing and OT subjects that are agenda based, have nothing to do with Jeeps, and never seem to go away. I can't just ignore this stuff, especially the bashing of other people or groups of people. That would be against who I am as a person. I believe if someone is needlessly slandering a person or group of people, that you stand up and speak up for those people, regardless if you have any connection to them or not (I'm not gay, a democrat, black American living in a poor neighbourhood etc. etc).

I've realised now that countering all this stuff is just a waste of my time. There are other Jeep boards that are more focused on Jeeps, that I can participate in. I might come back from time to time to ask questions, but I will not be hanging out here anymore because I don't feel comfortable amongst some of the goings on here. This is "the best" Jeep tech board, for Jeep info, but the worst for the other stuff.

Well, that was almost a big speach.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's been an interesting 3 years or so on this board, I wish you all the best in the future!

Over and out![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

jo-jo
http://island4x4.com/ <font color=red>Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada...eh!</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:46 AM
Gibby

Re: I\'m leaving the board!

I'm glad you posted this Jojo. It gives me a chance to ask you a question.
Considering that you are Canadian, why do you feel compelled to comment on
and respond to discussions involving US politics etc. in the first place?
Do not take this the wrong way but I have been wondering after you posted a
rather passionate response to my comments on Al Gore.
You are a contributing member and I hate to see you go. Maybe you could avoid
posts you know are off topic and stick around...................
Gibby

"If you trade a little freedom for a little security, soon you will have neither."
--Ben Franklin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 01:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

jo-jo, I'll see ya around.

On a side note...
I was just thinking how long I've frequented this place. Although I havent hung out here in more than a year I can remember when ORC was using DEJA forum software... must have been about 4 years ago. Then they switched to WebBBS and switched again to whatever this crap is that's used now. I can remember when Parts Mike was the top poster here. I remember the fight everyone had with Patrick Chicas that caused the birth of the PM forum, the Jeepthing Forum and a mass migration of people to the newsgroups.

Anybody else been around that long? I know Jeepskate has been around awhile. Anyone remember when ultimatejeep was the premier forum?

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 01:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't want to be bashed for this view, but here is my .02 cents worth. Almost everything in life has got its good points and its bad points. I read this BBS regularly, and from time to time I post (due to my inexperience with Jeeps, I do more asking that telling). I have complete freedom to read whatever posts are here. I choose what I read and what I do not read. I do not typically read OT, and I think that is everyone's choice to make on their own. Therefore, I am not offended by most of OT discussions. When you read into them, and let them affect you, you become very involved and obviously aggrivated. Why do that to yourself? It is good to feel passionate about what you truely believe in, but what good is wasting that passion on some dumb schmuck with too much time on their hands and who has no power to change things? Do you think the maker and breaker of laws surfs this web trying to stir things up by telling you what is going to happen? No, typically it is a bunch of academic BS, and after all the mud slinging is done, has the world changed? No, unless you count your frustration and the other person's happiness at getting a rise out of you as changing the world.

The point of my rambling is this, you Jo-Jo, have a lot to contribute to this board and to the people who read it. I challenge you to stick around, and avoid the controversy. Why does a BBS fail like this? Because the people who get useful material out of the site begin to forget what they were here for in the first place and get caught up with the mindless banter of politics. I challenge you to ignore the off topic posts, and to make this BBS what you want it to be. How satisfying is it to a rabble rouser if nobody reads what he/she has to say? I tell you what, the OT posts will be buried under technical Jeep posts within a couple of hours.

Think about it, will moving on help you out? Will the politics not follow you wherever you may go as long as you are willing to read into them? What are YOU going to do to help this board out, after all this BBS is only what you make it. There is a time and a place for everything, what is this time and place for? Now quit whining and start telling us about your mods.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 01:57 AM

Sorry to see you go jo-jo. Thank you for being frank with us.

Chad
'....he just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich.

http://www.webspawner.com/users/liveaxle/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 02:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Pretty well stated, dmski. That's about how I feel as well. In fact, I find it no less than remarkable that so many people meet in this one forum when it is strictly a voluntary thing. Nobody gets paid for posting or reading yet they seem to post and read by the hundreds each day. There must be SOMETHING that keeps people looking at this page.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It's pretty hard to spend time looking over a BBS like this and not be changed SOMEHOW. I could hardly even think of how many elbows our CJ project has made since we started it because of what we learned here. We also learned about land issues, what firearms to buy, some important principles regarding the flow of electric current in wire, a lot about ignition, emmissions, and fuel injection; what people do for a living, and how to build a shopping center.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I appreciate the true creativity that is in evidence on this board, and truly lament the fact that not all readers seem to see that as I do. I don't read all the posts because I'm not always of interested in which "35's are best in mud", but I read anything that looks like it is interesting TO ME....not to somebody else....TO ME. If the format of this BBS didn't have a certain "break room B.S. appeal", then we wouldn't have nearly as many hits and posts as we seem to have......59,966 so far...[that's almost 13 Gigazorks]...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] JJ and I have disagreed many times on political issues, but I've seen his Jeep stuff in photos, and I've read his posts, so I know what he can do. It has always been a mystery to me why U.S. politics seems to get his attention like it does.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 04:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aw come on don't be a whimp. I enjoy a few different post every now and then. I think you just need to loosen up, after all you don't have to read them if they are not JEEP involved.

I love to watch my fat girl friend try to strip in front of me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:46 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

My 1 problem with O/T posts

Sorry to see you go jo-jo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I do have one problem with the O/T posts on this board, and I would have to say it is a legitimate problem.

A few O/T posts I can handle. Shoot, I may just jump in...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But when there are so many O/T posts like this board has, it really becomes a struggle to wade through the junk to get to the Jeep content. I think jo-jo and others are of the same mind - some O/T posts are to be expected, but come on guys - have a little perspective and consideration of the AMOUNT of O/T posts.

I personally like reading just about every post made to the baord. I hate seeing that I missed someone's question or information because it got pushed to another page by a 300 post thread about the politics of chickens.

Take a look at the Toyota board for a good example - sure, there are O/T posts there, and sometimes some long or heated ones - but the signal to noise ratio is much better, and I think everyone benefits from it.

I also don't think some of you realize that you ARE pushing people away - people like jo-jo and others you never know of because they pick up the noise and not as much signal, and move on to another place to share their info.

So just take it as some constructive criticism... I ain't leavin' though [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: My 1 problem with O/T posts

let me just say.. i like the off topic stuff here.. its what keeps me coming back for more.. i usually dont post to much on them.. i may say my view and thats it.. but i like them.. it gives me insight on what everyone else is like.. what other views are out there.. do i let it get to me.. no.. i didnt post during the flame wars... but i did follow them.. and read them.. why..
just to know.. kinda like cjdave said.. i like to learn.. if its how drm feels on pickled hearing sandwhiches.. then i have learned something new for the day..
i can only get so much jeep knowledge when most of the questions have been asked 20 times over.. in those case i like to help out.. but, far as me, myself learning jeep stuff.. sometimes its few and far between here.. so i start to delve into the off topic post.. just to learn something.. and by doing that i am making myself a better person.. and the world a better place..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:07 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: My 1 problem with O/T posts

I also like the OT posts. Sure, some of them I skip, but if the replies hits 12 or more, I generally go over and read whatever people are talking about. Why just yesterday I found out what that red gunk on the inside of the electrical panels was, seen it for a long time, never knew, so I learned something that will help me at work, which is a change.

I've also been on this board for 3 or 4 years now, learned a lot, made new friends, had a lot of fun. Because of this, I'm not going anywhere, if the OT posts persist, let them, it's moving with the times, call it evolution or just a generation change. Either way, it's still moving forward. With the wealth of knowledge this board has to offer, OT wading is a small price to pay.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode