Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Steering (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/36590-steering.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 08-31-2000 12:48 AM

Steering

I have picked up an 86 -7 with a SOA and 35" tires(power steering). I have just recently gotten the Jeep running, but I have noticed it has a tendancy to "Bump Steer". The Jeep scares the crap out of me over 25 mph, I am afraid I will hit a pot hole at 50, go careening off to the side an either mow over some little old lady's Caddy or tip over and get mashed by the Caddy. Is this a normal phenomanon with SOA/35", or do I need to replace the steering stabilizer or something else to look at? It is a Rancho RS-9000, but it could be shot for all I know as I did not install it. Looks new, could be ancient though.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-31-2000 12:55 AM

Re: Steering

First look for a drop pitman arm. If it is not there, then that could solve your problem, or at lease make it less noticable. Cheapest and easiest as well. If now then it could be some type of crossover or highsteer setup. Don't know much about them, so I will leave it to someone more knowledgeable.

Jason

**DONOTDELETE** 08-31-2000 10:22 AM

Re: Steering

First things I check is the steering linkages, arms, balljoints, as said above is there a drop pitman arm? Does the steering arm come in contact with anything else (eg. soa system..thats bad!) Did the past owner get the correct angle on the front diff after the SOA (eg castor angle).
Also what kind of shape are the shocks in? I run the Rancho 9000 and for street use I run them firm! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I've tried the softer settings and it rocks & bucks like a mad bull [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] After I was done my SOA [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] my Jeeps handling is the same if not better (after I use the firm setting on the shocks) and I'm only using a 4" drop pitman arm. Will move up to steering over system when I replace my axle. For now its a Great ride puts me to sleep on the highway with the smooth YJ leafs and listening to my Super Swampers hummm along (just real relaxing to drive)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

77 CJ-7,SOA ,33" TSL's, 304 V8, T176,D300,D30,M20,