Powdercoating?? Doing it myself... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Powdercoating?? Doing it myself...

Okay, I've seen and heard about do-it-yourself powder coats that use your oven. Any body have a clue where to find them? I want to powder coat all of my hinges black. Thanks a bunch! BTW - still no luck on fixing my Jeep. NAPA ordered the wrong part for me!!! I absolutly hate NAPA!!

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Powdercoating?? Doing it myself...

How does the do it yourself home kit work? We powder coat grey and white where I work, and they way it works is by hanging a metal object on an electrical potential (the chain conveyor) and spraying it with a dry polyester powder that clings to the metal by electrostatic adhesion. Then we bake the hell out of it to get the thermoset polyester to kick over. We have various cleaning solutions to prep the metal. Do you know if this process uses electrostatics to attract the paint to the metal, or is it applied in a different manner? How thoroughly does the metal need to be cleaned? The powder coat we use lasts several hundred hours under a direct salt spray, how does this stuff hold up? Anyone know?

curious.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Well, when I saw/heard about powder-coating at home it was on some weekend TNN show like Trucks or HorsePower TV. If I remember correctly you used your oven to do it. I don't know about the electrostatic-whatever hehehe....

1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, all stock...but not for long!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only at home powdercoating I've seen is from Eastwood and is called their HotCoat system. It looks like a good system, and I did some research last year on some paint and body websites/boards, and it always had favorable reviews. The gun apparently puts out an electrostatic charge while dispensing the paint in powder form. It has a clip lead that has to be attached to the part your coating. They've got a ton of different colors and the price for the system is around $400 (I think). The reason I ended up not getting the system, is I don't have a 220 volt outlet in my tiny garage for a stove to bake the parts in.

Even if you don't get the HotCoat system, at least call Eastwood and get their catalog. It's full of restoration items for body work, painting, welding, etc.

Greg J.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:00 AM
Way Outta Control

About a year and a half ago a fellow Jeeper sent me a Dipstick Tube for a 258. It was powder coated bright red with Eastwoods system. I was excited to see it as I wanted to see the quality of the coating. In my limited experiance, the coating is even, rather thick, and quite durable. It is worn off a little where the dipstick seals at the top, that that's a point of constant friction.

The Hot Coat system is on my list when I get a little mad money. Oh Yea, Eastwoood has now have incorporated InfraRed Lamps into their system so you can powder coat amost anything! In thier ad they show a rear Axle assembly being coated with the IR system.

In my book... pretty nifty!

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing I have heard is you don't want to use the oven again for baking anything. I'm not sure why though. A toaster oven from a garage sale would work for small parts. Another necessity for the Hot Coat system to work is an air compressor to dispense the powder from the gun.

'75 CJ5,258,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What do You want the powdercoating for?

If You want it for the look, than OK it looks very nice.

If You want it for rost protection, than go for hammerite!
Why, becasue with Hammerite You see what happens to Your metal during the coming years, and You can rework it everytime You want. Powdercoating almost always looks nice, but sometimes You do not know what is going on under it, plus You can not easily rework it if it is neccesary even on a smal spot.
For example, I drive a 67 Triumph TR 4 A in winter rallyes like the historical rallye monte carlo. 10 Years ago I made a body off nut and bold restoration. The frame and everything on the frame is painted with Hammerite.
The result is that salt ice smal stones everything You can find did not harm the metal, and everytime i have the car on a lift I take a look and have a smal brush with hammerite in my hand to make 1 or 2 tini spots.

So like You see, it is a question of what You want from the work You are willing to do.

Andreas

a german jeeper in germany
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My dad used to own a powder coating business. And all it really takes is the powder which is really cheap, depending on where you get it. and an oven that can sustain like umm 250 or 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes. And a way to get the powder to stick to the metal is get the metal damp not dripping and then apply the powder. One of thoughs little flour sifters would work ok. If I talk to my dad tomorrow i'll find out where he got his powder and how much $$ but i don't think it was a lot. Kyle[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode