HELP! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP!

I am finally getting my 83 CJ-7 back together. new paint, much welding. A new dash is the last, and of course, nothing works. It appears to be a ground issue. The starter will turn over, and I have power to the fuse box and wiring. however, once together, forget about it! headlights, markers, turn signal, guages dont work. Do you think the base clear paint plus epoxy primer could be interfearing. Does each switch and guage have to ground to the dash by clean metal contact? Anything to help out would be great. I labled all before removing and just placed back as before. Of course the results are not the same. Thanks Rob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:56 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: HELP!

I can't help, just moving it back to the top for you [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

what i can suggest. is to start with battery... and work your way back to the dash.. check for grounding.. battery? engine? alternater? starter? dash? guages?
everything to metal? no.. they mostly tie all that stuff together.. and run a common ground for it all.. to one spot.. check that.. make sure its grounded.. and that the wire is good.. no breaks in it

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:09 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>jeepgod</font color=blue> has some good advice ont he last post. Start tracing with a test light, if you don't have one, they're about $5. Find out the last point you have power to and see what's stopping it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:19 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought multiple grounding points were better than a single one? I would think the redundancy only helps make sure things stay grounded in case one fails. Sure, one ground means less wires to trace when there are problems, but it also means if one thing fails everything fails... Interesting...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:05 AM
I Do This For The Glory

If everything has failed, you know it's the ground, so you don't have to troubleshoot. It makes it nice and simple, and there are less wires attached everywhere.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] DRM has nailed it Rob.....MULTIPLE grounds is the real answer. Your three Jeeps don't know each other any more....you know the ones....the engine/tranny group, the tub/dash/gauge cluster group, the front fenders/ and the chassis.....too much paint. You've got some grounding to do. Use a star washer....internal type....on each ground connection, AND...get this....ground the ALTERNATOR case to the main grounding bar which you will add to terminate all this stuff. You can make nice cables for this job by getting the lengths and going to a welding supply and having then use samll welding cable with some nice pressed ends.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yes.. follow daves advice.. that is the way it should be done.. but factory didnt really see it this way.. or possibly the last owner..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode