POLL: Fuel Injection, Howell, Holley, Mopar, etc? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:56 PM
RedSandDog

POLL: Fuel Injection, Howell, Holley, Mopar, etc?

This is related to the post by Ledger. Just for information purposes, what works for people who have installed aftermarket TBI's. Holley's seem to have a few problems, from what I have read.

I think it would be interesting if folks who have installed these systems could post their $0.02 about what they have, what they put it on and how well they worked.

I know I want fuel injection. I also don't want a buch of headaches. I am thinking a Ford 302/351W w/ factory FI, but if there is a good working TBI system I could slap on my 258, that might be a cheaper/easier route (ya, ya, less power, I know).

'74 CJ-5
Send Money
...and a beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: POLL: Fuel Injection, Howell, Holley, Mopar, etc?

Well, the holleys are nice when they work..It's nice to be able to adjust some of the settings, but at the same time it's a pita.TWO WORDS, closed loop.. That takes all the guess work out of it.If a part fails on the holly system, YOU have to figure it out.On a system like Howell or factory, it thinks for itself and adjusts to meet the needs.I ran the Holley on a 304 and was constantly trouble shooting it.I've installed the howell system on 2 258 sixes and have had nothing but good to say about them.I junkyarded the system I have on my 350 chevy,and have had no problems with it as of yet.Whats nice about the factory set ups, is that little red light that spits out codes.with those codes you can narrow the problem down pretty quick.I believe that the Howell has that, But the holley dont.Your pretty much left to figure it out on your own or through the holley tech line(when you can get through)with the holley stuff.The holley system can be nice if you have a hopped up engine because of the adjustability though!!
I want to thank Holley for teaching me the basics of Fuel Injection. It definatly made me figure out how the majority of it works... Good luck!! Hope this helped a little.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 12:54 PM
Old Hand

I have had great results with Howell. They use good parts that can be found at GM dealers and most any parts store. Their tech help line is very informative and a bunch of those guys drive Jeeps.

My $0.02

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 02:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have the Mopar, and love it. I installed it in conjunction with a complete rebuild and build-up. Including the 4.0 head. No problems now for 3 + years! (Knock on wood) I run regular unleaded with no knock, and the engine makes awsome lowend torque.

It is expensive, and problemmatic if you don't do the head change, but as the other have said about the howell, great self diagnostics, and parts availablility.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (NOT, Fire Fire Everywhere)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best fuel injection.... Complete 4.0 swap!

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is if you can find one! I was prepared to do the 4.0 swap and couldn't find one in my area that was low mileage. I went with Howell because of that very reason and the fact that the 4.0 does not make the low end torque that the 4.2 does. A guy I work with just did a 4.0 swap and likes the highway RPM's but is not happy with the lower torque at trail RPM's.

'75 CJ5,258,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:59 PM
mudracer

I'd stick with a factory setup for reliability and simplicity. Like the other post mentioned, closed loop is the way to go. A swap of a factory system isn't that bad once you study the system a bit. I'm sold on the GM TBI and they're becoming more available and reasonable. I've also heard good things about Howell.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
'84 K20 driver
'80 CJ-7 trail machine
<font color=orange>'79 K10 mud racer</font color=orange>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

snowtow.... I have the 4.0 in my TJ. The torque isnt an issue for me and I wheel every weekend with it. I agree though, the 258 'grunts' down low.

My CJ7 had the Howell fuel injection kit ... it performed flawlessly for two years before my engine just got tired. Im now swapping in a Chevy 350 TBI... talk about your low-end torque

Regards,
LarryM
"If I can't go faster I'll go longer."
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:03 PM

I swapped a 91 4.0 into my wife's 83 CJ-7, and used parts from the mopar kit to finish it off(computer, wire harness, air filter kit, distributor, crank position sensor). It works awesome. I would have to disagree on the lack of bottom end torque, I had a barely noticeable decline, but not enough to outway the benefits. My overall low range gearing is 54:1. It was a little on the expensive side after running new exhuast and wrapping up misc details, but I got the motor for $500 from a wrecked vehicle. The motor had 1500 miles on a complete rebuild!

Greg
89 XJ-stock, 83 CJ-7/4.0HO-t18-d300-locked-2.5" rancho-32 bfg mt, 79 Blazer/454-t400-np205-locked-4w disc-35 bfg mt, 67 CJ-5/231-t18-d18-4.88-front disc-rear 11" drum/front locked/30-9.50's
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:22 PM
Addict

Please don't be among the very unhappy Mopar FI kit owners. I can't tell you how many guys I have run in to that are very unhappy with with it. I have a friend with $5000 into a kit, rebuilt 258 and install. And it pings. It pings for everybody. The only cure is the 4.0 head. So my friend now has to void his warranty on his new rebuild, and put a 4.0 head on.

I'm with Larry. I swapped a 4.0 out of an '89 cherokee into my Scrambler. The earlier 4.0 produce the torque at lower rpm's than the later version. (2400 vs 4200) I've got less that $1000 into it. Just think what my friend could have had for $5000 if he knew what he was getting into.

I have also seen on this or some other BBS, someone trying to get together a lawsuit against Mopar for this kit.

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, 4w Disc, Wrangler springs up front, SOA, 1" Body lift, 35" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode