Bike Rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:40 PM
farfrum

Bike Rack

I have a full suspension mountain bike (Has thick frame) I am looking for a spare tire mount bike rack that will accomodate. Anybody else have this problem? I would like to know if the girl bar attachment would work, and I also heard mention of a peddle mount, but there was no picture or info.

'84 Yoda 4X4 stock pick-up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Bike Rack

I am a mechanic at a bike shop. The "girs bike bar" should work. It attaches to the stem, and the seatpost. Any bike with those 2 things should work.

What I did was to get some " bike blocks" they are essentially a front frok holder. they are strapped to the hoop of my roll bar, and the back tire of the bike sits on the wheelwell, right next to the tailgate. Doesn't work in the rain very well.

What kind of bike is it? Several frame makers frames will fit on a rack, it just may be tough.

BJ

See you on the pilf side
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:54 PM

I use a Thule receiver rack that has big enough clamps for my Cannondale Cadd III tubing(about 3" maybe). How thick of a tube are you talking about? The big rack manufacturers are usually pretty good about keeping up, or just behind any new designs that the major bike manufacturers are building. I think Thule and Yakima both have websites, they may have product available that havent hit the majority of the shops yet.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"PLING" Hmm,What was that noise???....Awww probably nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a spare tire mount bike rack which bent on the very first use I can't remember the brand name but for the $$$'s you have invested in your bike you would probably be better off with a rack that mounts in a trailer hitch reciever.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:01 PM
farfrum

Hey thank's for the info, where can I pick up a set of bike blocks? Do most bike shops carry them?

'84 Yoda 4X4 stock pick-up
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My rack straps to the spare tire (actually, it hangs on it). It is made by Rhodes. Not sure if that is spelled right, but I've seen them at bike shops. I've taken the bike, while on the Jeep, through some tough and muddy stuff with no problems. It folds down to a compact unit for storage quickly. If you want more info, I can visit my shop and get name, model, price, maybe even a website.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 06:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, found a link for you. Looks like they've gone up in price - what hasn't?
http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...0&prrfnbr=1307

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

YOu should be able to pick up blocks at almost any bike shop.

BJ

See you on the pilf side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode