Where to Ground The Instrument cluster?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Where to Ground The Instrument cluster??

My gas gauge is going nuts. it will pulsate and stay all the way to full, then go down. I have a brand new gauge, brand new sender. brand new wires, good ground to sender, no crimped wires. I think my Cluster is not grounded properly. At what point on the cluster should i run a wire to a ground source? Looked at the electrical diagram and it doesn't give an exact point. I repainted the dashboard and i don't want to scapr paint to attach the wire, so i am going to run is to a grounding strap. I hope some guys with fiberglass tubs can give me some hints, because i would like to get the fuel gauge working for this weekends trip.
Thanks in advance
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:53 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Where to Ground The Instrument cluster??

The Speedo cluster grounds through the dash. On my 83 CJ I've just swapped tubs to a fiberglass. I ran a 16ga wire from the bottom lip of the dash to the battery ground, it works fine... and cannot be seen. Have you checked Jaffers site yet?

http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm

He has written the bible on CJ gauge diagnostics....

Good Jeepin'

Larry
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey LEVE or Jaffer was the site recently revised? It looks different from last time i looked. It still has great knowledge. I will recheck the gauge when i pull it, but since no magical smoke left it and it still works, i.e. goes up to hot then down and back, i guees i have the wires correct. So the whole housing of the Cluster is the ground point? So if I ran a wire to the mounting point of the gauge to Dash, to the ground portion of my fuse block, then it would be properly grounded? I hope this will work.
Thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dan,
Did you repaint the back side of your dash also? If so you probably don't have good contact between the gauge cluster and the metal of the dash. If that's the case, running a ground wire from the dash to battery ground won't help. Run a grounding wire from the gauge cluster itself.

'75 CJ5,258,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:54 PM

Dan-
I grounded everything to the Speedo housing at it's four studs (see yellow insulated terminals) then ran a 12 Ga ground wire from the lower left Speedo stud nut along the dash's bottom then down to a spot just above the brake release handle. There is a tub panel seam with an interior protruding lip so I drilled a hole and grounded it on the back side of this with a bolt and star washer where it is out of the way and out of sight but easy to get to.

CJ-Dave should be proud of me...

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Jaffer. THat picture is what i really needed to see. I will run a ground to the speedo bolts like you did. And hopefully i can tell how much gas i have, gasoline that is [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. You did an excellent job on your site with the gauges. Keep up the good work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode