Clutch Problem? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 10:47 AM
farfrum

Clutch Problem?

I have a 87 Wrangler/YJ, with 5spd std, The transmission started popping out of first gear. The vehicle has 185,000 miles and I don't know when the clutch was last changed. Could my problem just be my clutch wearing out, or does anybody think it is a transmission problem. Anybody have any experience with this?
Thanks.

'84 Yoda 4X4 stock pick-up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clutch Problem?

Check the transmission mounts - and motor mounts just in case the torque is causing the shifter to be moved. But most likely just a worn out transmission. If you have the I6 you have a Peugot Tranny - parts are available from some of the Jeep magazines if you want to tackle it yourself. It is not really worth paying for someone to repair it. Better to swap over to a more robust tranny at this point.

CB

Politicians love unarmed serfs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

The clutch allows for a smooth transition when shifting, it does nothing to keep it in gear. If it's popping out, it's your tranny. At 185,000 miles, I'd expect it, especially with the junky 5 speed, you've been lucky. <font color=blue>Wrangler-Laredo</font color=blue> is right on the swap, but if it's lasted that long, it might be decent for a rebuild, then again it might not.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a 5 speed pug from my jeep that i ripped apart for inspection, if you would like any peices from the inside up it you are more that welcome, just pay for shipping. the only bad part is the reverse idler gear
Matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:52 PM
farfrum

Thank's for the advise,although it wasn't what I wanted to hear. What is a more robust tranny for the 2.5L? I am living in California now, doe's anybody know where I can get a re-built or used for a decent price. I have been quoted $1200 from two places, this seem's high to me?
Thank's again

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

>>>>>I have been quoted $1200 from two places, this seem's high to me?
***** It is high BUT you will be an almost bulletproof tranny and not have to worry about it.

Call Hick4x4 in Pomona 1800-999-posi

good luck

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 01:28 PM
farfrum

Hey, that price I was quoted was just for the standard rebuild pug tranny, with a 6 month warranty!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

there is a reason they only give you a 6MONTH warranty, those tranny just SUCK. Go for the Beef. A T-18a will be a great strong and cheap (relativly speaking) tranny. Or if your rich you can get a NV4500. Go for the beef.

Boston Mangler
CJ7, T18, Dana20, Scout 44's F&R, Detroits F&R, 4:56 Gears, SOA, Hi-Steering, York, etc...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 01:40 PM
farfrum

What kind of a price range can I expect? Can I find a used one, and where should I look, who supplies them?

Thank's, I'm new to the Jeep world.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Call HICKS4x4

1.800.999.posi
or
http://www.hicks4x4.com/

Boston Mangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode