Piston Ring Problems??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Piston Ring Problems???

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest. I am having a problem with the 258 in my '89 YJ. The engine has 262300km on it, which is about 163000 miles. The oil pressure gague is sometimes rising up to its upper limit, by which I mean as far as it can go, not just the highest reading. I'm also getting oil up into the air filter housing. I kind of thought that the gauge might have been broken at first but now with the oil up there I know something is wrong. I've had a few people tell me that the only way this can happen is if the rings are gone. This makes sence. Then gave me two options, have the rings replaced, obviously the better solution. Or to re-route the hose that goes from the top of the cover from the air filter housing, to the bottom letting this oil run away freely without messing with the air filter. Is this a common way to deal with this problem until one is ready for a rebuild/replacement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Piston Ring Problems???

1) get a "mechanical" oil pressure guage so that you can get actual oil pressure readings.
2)get a compression check done on the engine.
High oil pressure and oil in the aircleaner are usually not related, high oil pressure is extremely rare in a 258. Oil in the air cleaner can be a worn engine or something as simple as a bad PCV valve or bad/misrouted vacum lines.
I am not saying your motor is not worn out, just that the symptoms are not conclusive that it is.
good luck, jjc

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

We need more clues to help you. How do the spark plugs look? Compression check would definately be helpful. Definately check the PCV valve.

Tell us more and we will try to help.

George

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another comment...you never just replace the rings. If an older engine needs rings, at a minimum you will have to ream the ridges, hone the cylinders, check for excessive wear and whether oversized rings are needed, etc. While you are in the engine, if it is worn enough to need new rings, it will likely also need new bearings (mains and inserts), valve job, maybe new cam, etc.

The point I'm trying to make is, be careful not to take it to a shop to only have the rings replaced, as it may be false economy not to take care of a lot of other things while the engine is opened up.

Greetings from TEXAS, and good luck. George

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi again guys, thanks for your help. I replaced the PCV valve, air filter, and PCV filter/breather, about 2500kms ago. I haven't looked at the spark plugs since I put them in probably 8000km ago. I'll look at them later today and drop back with that information. The compression check was the reason for my visit to the garage but the guy pretty much told me that there was no point in doing the test as the rings would be the only reason this could happen. How simple/cheap is it to connect a manual pressure gague, I'll give it a shot if it's not too bad. If the high oil pressure is a seperate condition I'd like to know about it as well. I don't have much experience, as you could have guessed, but don't mind trying with the proper guidance, i'm into this for the learning as well as fun. As for getting everything rebuilt I know that would be pretty much the way to go, and thats why I'm wondering how long one can go with that hose just venting off that oil. I'm not in the position just yet for a rebuild on this one, or to stick in a newer/better engine. Even if I can get a few months then I would have the time to check out all my options for rebuild/upgrade.

If anyone has the time could they comment on the more common solution to a 258 thats approaching 200, 000 miles. Do you go rebuild or upgrade?

As well, this isn't related to the engine, but still another problem I'm having. The U-joint between the bottom of the steering shaft and the steering box is gone. It's looking like I have to replace the whole shaft, is this correct or is there a way to replace just the U-joint. It's power steering with tilt.

Thanks again everyone,
Trevor

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 04:49 PM

I have been running my cj7 with a hose in the valve cover(where the hose going to the air filter is supposed to be) running down the side of the engine to get rid of the oil that would otherwise be in the air filter housing. I have been running this way for almost 2 years. I did a compression test, and passed with flying colors. I have no noticable loss in engine power, so I think it may be just the oil rings that are bad, but I am not rebuilding/replacing until it quits running altogether!!

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 09:42 PM

moving to top. Any ideas out there? thanks, Ben

86 CJ7 258, weber carb, rusty but trusty!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode