shakle lift on YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

shakle lift on YJ

Hi there,

Iīm from Austria(europe) and there is not so much experience on jeep suspensions (more rice-suvīs G-Wagons and landys).

Therefore I post this question here, hoping to get a competent answer from You, guys. I want to add CON-FER shakles that provide a little more than 1" lift to my YJ with 2.5" Rancho Springs and Bilstein shocks. Can I add them without expecting steering problems ?

Most YJīs with shackle lifts driving round here, have body lifts too and stock springs - but this Jeeps (with 35" tires) arenīt really for off-road use!! (in my opinion)

I donīt want to remove the axles from the springs to put degree shims in just only for the shakles. Whats Your opinion and experience ?

A heartly jeepwave to You all from the mediterenean Greece
(thats where I drive my JEEP to rockīn roll)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 09:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: shakle lift on YJ

G'Day, Mate. Put another shrimp on the Barby...

Around 1" would be the maximum I'd go, maybe like 1.25". Don't you guys measure everything in centimeters? You shouldn't have any problems with driveline angles with a 1" lift, just remember, 2" longer shackles are required to get the 1" lift. A lift of that size shouldn't even be noticeable on the road handling characteristics either, more and it'd cause problems. I'm running about a 1" lift in the front and 2" in the back (to level out the jeep) and I don't have any problems, but I have a Scrambler, which is longer. I have seen the 2" and even 5" (yep, 10" longer shackles) shackle lifts, and while the 2" worked fine the 5" was terrible, he hit everything in sight. Shackle lifts are fine in moderation, like anything else, but to excess they cause problems.

Oh, BTW, welcome to the board! Your english is awesome (along with your knowledge of slang), are you originally from the states and just living abroad?

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanx for the info,

My native language is austrian (german) - excuse my awesome english ;-)

I like my YJ very much - the stock 2,5 engine, driveline (and clutch) have now done 150.000 miles and are still in very good shape. (the only things I had to repair are broken shock mounts and a broken exhaust manifold stud).

I plan to do an engine/driveline/axle upgrade when the time for the little fourbanger has come, but I hope it will take a long time to that moment.

gerd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run 5" long shackles on my YJ. I think the stock ones are 3" long, so 2" longer gives 1" lift. (something like that), anyway, it didn't create any steering or driveline problems for me. All jeeps are different though.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode