bikini top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

bikini top

Need a little help, just put a strapless bikini top and windshield channel on my CJ7, but i cant keep the top in the channel i can be going down the road and the top will start coming out of the channel, is there a special trick to keeping it in ? thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: bikini top

Did it come with snaps for the outer edge of the header? Most of mine did. Make sure it is tight after you fold the edge into the header. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

no snaps, i pull it as tight as i can but it eventually comes out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, Hell. There goes my shot at looking like a genious. Not to make fun or make you look bad but, I have to ask. Are you folding the top when you place it in the header? My best friend actually spent 2 weeks trying to figure this out (btw, I am the smart between us,haha). If it is not that maybe it is the header being bent. Just keep working with it.There are alot of civil engineer/poopwater types who are pretty adept at problems(I have the right to say that, I'm married to one)on this board. we'll figure it out. Sorry for the lack of help. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,Tomkin tire combo,etc,etc.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The snaps are the trick and even then it will still come out if it won't stay tight. If you have a full roll cage you can get straps to fasten to the top and go around the foward part of the roll cage, but when it rains the rain will come down that strap. A pain either way.....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You didn't say what brand your bikini top was. I bought a strapless Steel Horse for my 94 YJ, and it was a very bad fit. I took it back and got a Bestop. Much better fit. The YJ's have the side roll bars to the front windshield and the side straps on the top add to the ability to hold the top down. My 78 CJ5 without side roll bars has an old style strap bikini. Both work fine.

It is a pain to get them the windshield channel. One side or the other seems to keep popping out before the whole thing is in the channel. Make sure that the channel is screwed down tight. As stated before by others, you do have to put the front of the top in the channel upside down and then fold the whole top back over to the rear.

Good luck!
Kriss

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:30 PM

I don't mean to be a smart a$$ but I just have to ask ....you did put the channel facing the right way,right....Of cource you did I knew that.
Seriously though check your windshield be sure it isn't bending back too far or rusted too bad...when I go to put my hard doors on I have to pry the windshield foreward to close the doors..I switched to the classic bikini cause I couldnt get the strapless tight enough and it was falling apart and not even a full season old.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The top and channel are both bestop, have done everything according to instructions and still comes out.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the Bestop strapless on my 86 CJ7, seems O.K. My roll bar is padded maybe that helps cushion the constant flapping at highway speeds.

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather... is it because it's
safer to harass rich women than bikers ? !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode