Moving to Las Vegas, Where to wheel? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Moving to Las Vegas, Where to wheel?

Well I just got back,Sunday night from 10 days of Wheelin.
What a fantastic trip. I ran the Dusy/Ershim trail with Gary, and Arron and and 3 other rigs from the Tierra Del Sol 4WD Club. The club members were a great group of people, and really showed a lot of talent in their vehicle prep and driving skills. We had 2 CJ7s(Gary and Arron), 3 YJs and a TJ. Throughout both Dusy and Coyote Lake trail, both of which were extremely rough conditions this year, we had no major failures,(2 side wall punctures(one mine)), and no real stuck situations. I had one hang up, on about the last rock of the Dusi trail, when I went brain dead momentarily and slid sideways off a ledge onto a nice diff hanger,(the high lift, and a little rocking set my YJ free). We all parted ways on Thursday morning, and Jeepchick, and I opted to run a few more trails that we may not have a chance to run for a while. Ill post some more trail info and photos when I have a little more time. I am really looking forward to running the Tierra Del Sol run in 2001, just to get out and wheel with these guys again. I had a great time.
Anyways this leads to my posted topic.
When I arrived back in Nextel range, I was able to begin recieving the load of messages that had built up over the course of 10 days "Incommunicado". The first few were the standard, "where are you?,the worlds comming to an end, what do I do?" types of messages, that usually resolve themselves with any commpotent attempt by, the questioneer. Then came, the message from the President, and CEO, which was much more calm yet attention demanding, "Jeff, I need you to be in Las Vegas, no later than Thursday afternoon, to meet with the Client, his Architect and Engineers"."Also Meet with, the Surveyor, Friday AM, and confirm, that the pad is cetrified". "See if he can also Set building corner staking and some elevation hubs". "Also meet with the excavation contractor, and establish a following Tuesday start, to excavate footings, Monday if they arent taking Labor day off". "youll need to arrainge to have a trailer, tool bin, and security fence delivered". "And dont forget to send all of the current projects close out documents to the office, before departing","by the way I transfered your Labor Foreman to another urgent project, I hope this isnt to much of an inconvenience, feel free to hire new, as needed". "I hope you had a nice vacation".
Talk about vacation re entry shock. Not to mention the office had already shut off my apartment and jobsite phones.
So the Hertz Rental Truck, is now loaded with construction and office equiptment, and is parked at the appartment being loaded with the last personal items. The Jeep and equiptment still need to be loaded onto the trailer, and I should have just about enough time for a quick wave "good buy" to the freinds I have meet here in Reno as Im driving past on the highway.
So does anyone know of a nice furnished House or Apartment available in Las Vegas?
And the most important question.
Where are the hot Wheelin Trails?
I couldnt think of a much better place to spend the winter, and its for a client that I really enjoy building with.
I might even get a chance to wheel over the 3 day,(if I cant talk the excavator into working over the holiday).
Thanks in adavance for any info.
"Viva Las Vegas"

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Nobody goes their anymore, because its too crowded
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:56 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: Moving to Las Vegas, Where to wheel?

Good to hear that your still alive! Everyone was wondering. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Contractor working on a holidy??? Come on!!

Weren't you partial to that labor foreman?

I live in maine and have nothing to add as far as where to go, but I'm quite sure you'll be flooded with info soon enough!!!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 01:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

glad to hear from you again jeff.. thought for a moment that tire rack got the best of you.. great to hear about the trails.. sure makes me want to come out there.. only 2 more years here.. i can do it.. i can do it.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the concerne about MIA status.
Everything went very well, and the Jeep held up just great, especialy considering the length and terrain of the trip. Absolutely no breakage is a testament, that good parts choices and maintenance is well worth the effort, although a bit of common sense and luck dont hurt the cause either.
I did get a little ribbing from a couple of the Tierra Del Sol Club about the heavily laden rack. I think they warmed up to the designs functional features though when I grabbed the chainsaw off the upper rack and began making ample firewood for the camp. The rack is a bit bulky looking when loaded, but the weight is actually very well distributed. It was also very convenient to use the lower rack as a cooking area as it sits at about 42" above the ground. I just kept the propane bottle in its stowed position and ran a hose to the camp stove, it worked great. I would really like to get some pictures posted, but my scanner has already been packed away. This move to Vegas has come quicker than I was expecting, and in the opposite direction, in fact I almost left my Jeep at a freinds house in Fresno so that I could just pick it up on the way to Pasadena, but Ive learned to not trust my actual job re-locations untill I get there.
Now come on guys, there has to be someone in Las vegas that can give me some info on the Town and its surroundings. I hope your not gonna make me have to go into thw local 4x4 shops and raz the mechanics and sales persons rigs untill they take me out to wheel just to leave my carcass out in the desert,(its actually a pretty good tact for finding the local hidden trails, but can result in an embarassing schooling in "local terrain driving techniques 101").
It looks like I wont be far from Death Valley and Grand Canyon, there has to be some good wheelin out there. It looks like Im not to far from Panamint, Calico, Ershim Canyon and Surprise canyon also. Man that is some good new areas to explore. I dont know how Ill find time to work with all that good wheelin.
Any info would be nice!!! dont be shy.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
Nobody goes their anymore, because its too crowded
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If I EVER got crazy enough to be an employer again, I would want every one of my employees to be just like H8Monday. Is this some guy. or what? Scoffs at crisis; laughs at adversity; changes plans on the go; and builds one heck of a Jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] TAKE note guys.....this is what "handling it" is all about.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad to see you back! We had talked earlier about my major (building Science). You need to quit screwing around and come to the South. I am going to need a job someday!!!! Anyway, hope everything works out for you. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:08 PM
sas87yj

hey jeff!
good luck on your new endeavor in lost wages!
got to be plenty of 4wheelin in that area. lots of off road racing too. not too much cactus-just creosote.

yeah i will be exploring death valley ala panamint valley in early oct. if you have never made the loop through goler and butte valley-a must. don't know if you will be rock crawled challenged but a cool trip. won't see too many people if any.

now the trip up surprise canyon to panamint city is supposed to be a tough one eh?

getting plenty of rain lately in your old stompin grounds here in tucson! nogales is swamped. worked there today and the mosquitos were thick!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:14 PM

You can try my strategy ...

I park somewhere on high ground, get out my spotting scope and look around until I see something interesting. Then I go.

I've found a lot of interesting places and traveled a lot of gnarly trails to get there.

There's just two places you don't want to be. First is Nellis, you never know what you might run over or to put it another way, you may never know you ran over it.

More importantly, stay out of the washes if you see any clouds anywhere. Gully washers don't care what they eat.

Regards

Rockcrusher
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

From Oklahoma, I'll tell you what I know about the area weekendable from LV,NV. WATER

First of all it is great. Beautiful mountains on the east. Huge pine trees in the forest and beautiful streams. More people than maybe you want, but it is still worth some of your time. WATER

The desert around LV is, as you probably know, dangerous to your health. To me that simply adds to the goodness of it. YMMV. There are miles of trails in every direction after you get away from the local mini-ranches and not so mini-ranches. WATER

Stay away from the lake as it is loaded with regional cops who have off-road rigs and spend their time doing cop things to outdoors people. WATER

As for the west from there, it is fantastic. Death Valley information is abundant and the place is huge, of course. It is now an International Biosphere (used to be a National Park) and it has some cops but not like Yosemite or Yellowstone. Wheeling off-trail is of course a no-no and the trails there are mostly two wheel drive but the place is fairly rich in characters, history and scenery. For instance there is rock formation in the southern part of the part that is a huge layered chocolate cake. For real - and most people will never see that unless they have a Jeep. Enjoy your time there. It is worth it. WATER

On the west of Death Valley is the Panamint range. From the top of the Panamints, you can see Death Valley on the east and Panamint Valley on the west. From there, if you had to make a choice and knew nothing about the livability of either valley, you would choose Death Valley. Panamint looks much deader, if you can believe that. Panamint Valley is almost endless with wheeling opportunity. Stone canyon will get to your weak points in drivelines. The offcamber pucker factor (some with NO go arounds or turnarounds) will test you and Jeepchick. The Panamint Valley Days is held there in October, I believe, and is a good get-together. The main town to see in the valley is Ballarat, population one. Drink a soda pop at the store. If you're lucky, the proprieter will talk to you some. Just to the north and east of Ballarat is Surprise Canyon. When you wheel that puppy, have a buddy with an equally good rig with you. I wheel solo freely, frequently, happily and have learned more that way and discovered more than ever with others. But I will NOT wheel Surprise Canyon solo. There are those who have and do, but it is foolish in my opinion. YMMV. But, the point is that it is something I think you ought to put on your list. It is worth it. Go up on Saturday and come down on Sunday. Cook out, camp out and freeze out if you're not prepared for it since it is almost always cold at night in Panamint City. WATER
South of Ballarat and going east (either 3 or 4 canyons) is Goler Wash. Go see Charlie Manson's place. The ranch. When I was there in '96 the canned fruit Charlie's girls had put up were still there on the shelf. Kinda spooky, really. I have a pomegranate from one of the girls' trees. Not a big deal, I suppose, just a form of rebellion since it had just been included in the National Park thing at the time and you are not supposed to take even so much as a rock or a blade of grass. The canyons between Surprise and Goler have some surprises for you if you are into exploration. WATER

Many people don't like the desert and it's mountains and rocks, but I do and hopefully you will, too. I have thought about moving to LV, NV since it is booming and I do about what you do - contruction management, that is. If you wheel, you will like LV,NV., I think. Let us all know. WATER

I almost forgot to mention, be sure and take WATER everywhere you go. I always carry a minimum of 20 gallons.

The English plastic gerry cans are the best for this I have found.

sln

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:06 AM
sas87yj

yeah jeff, slnewcomb is on the money about death valley except a little sugar coating on the manson seen. i lived there in 65-71 and was witness to the whole manson mess. lived at wildrose station. the barker ranch was owned by jim and kirk barker and jim had died at the time of manson. kirk let beach boy brian wilson stay at the ranch to write music. he gave her a gold album which i saw on her living room wall at the indian ranch where she lived and owned except leased the land from the shoshone indians. i shot all the windows and tires out of the manson bus the weekend after they nabbed him and his girls.

oh well, memories!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode