$1500 for upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

$1500 for upgrade

I have $1500 to spend on this. I currently have stock trak-lok 30/20 with 3.31 r&p. What I want is 4.10 and locked. I already have a set of Moser 1 peice I got froma friend. I plan to do all the labor myself (if I can). I would like to go ARB front and rear, but this would blow my budget especially with the compressor. Detroits are not much cheaper. Can someone give me suggestions on combinations or other lockers (cheaper) that I can use, since I'm going to a 4.10 I would have to change my carrier anyway so the lockright style locker want be much benefit. Also who has the best prices, especially if I buy everything together?

PS. Anyone near SE Michigan available to lend a hand in about a month with R&P setup?

Kevin Low
84 CJ7
SE Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: $1500 for upgrade

I went with Detroit's front & rear and 4:56 gears. Look at the cost of the 'lunch-box' locker and the new carrier and you are in the neighborhood of the price for the Detroit. Also no worries about a stock carrier breakin' and takin' out that hard earned R-n-P. I picked up everything from Randy's for about 1200.00, not the cheapest but you will not get better service and you WILL get the right part's the FIRST time! That can not be said about alot of other place's.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.

http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:16 AM

I believe Detroits run around $500 depending on the application. The front locker will also serve as your new carrier. (Im assuming you have a D30) ARB's are about $100 more expensive, but you can set up an A/C compressor to run it for alot less than the ARB comp. costs. The only cheap alternative that I can think of would be to run a spool in the rear. You might try giving somebody like Randy's R&P a call to check for applications...I can't think of anyone who carries spools for a M20. Either way, you'll probably run over budget. Might consider saving a little longer and doing it the way you want the first time. I won't even touch the suggestion of swapping axles.

<font color=blue>Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

You could do it for an axle swap. I swapped in D44's front and rear from a Scout II, with 4.10's and added Lockrights, all for under the $1,500 price tag, including new driveshafts. They'd be 2" wider per side than your stock axles and a lot stronger. Finding them would take some work, but it could be done.

Axles, $250 (any more than that and it'd be a ripoff)
Rebuild kit $200 (new u-joints, seals, bearings, if needed)
Lockers $450 (Lockrights, install them yourself)
Driveshafts $200 (both cut and balanced with new u-joints, I used Grand Wagon long slip)
Brake lines $60 (front only)
Brakes $100 (all new pads and shoes)
Spring move $50 (for the front, do it yourself, very easy, I have writeup)
Perches $20 (new, for the rear)
Caster $100 (at a machine shop, or do it yourself)

Total: About $1,430. Give or take some money. This is doing it yourself, but it's not rocket science and rebuilding a Dana 44 is very easy. It'd be a lot stronger than your current setup, parts are cheap, and you could upgrade to ARB's or Detroits later on, until then you'd still be locked. I had the axles already, and did all my own work, so I know it can be done.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode