Tow Hooks....feeling like a fool... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tow Hooks....feeling like a fool...

Ok, I can swap a clutch, do brakes, do some wiring, you know the more advanced stuff...
Well, I picked up some tow hooks for my CJ7 knowing that I will eventually need a tug or be the tugger...
Where do I mount them on the front. Obviously the springs are in the way on the bottom and the holes on top where the bumper mounts dont line up. I will probably just drill new holes but I was under the impression these were "bolt right on" deals....

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258</font color=red>
'nothin' special, but lots of fun!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:53 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Tow Hooks....feeling like a fool...

Drill a new hole, behind the bumper one, and use large washers or a 1/4" thick metal plate on the bottom of the frame.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks JeepN. Still a little embarassed to have to ask the question...I appreciate your response.

<font color=red>84 CJ7 / 258</font color=red>
'nothin' special, but lots of fun!'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:18 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It's not a bad question, people run into it all the time. I have asked some embarassing questions as well, but always got an answer, and when I thought back on it, the question really wasn't embarrasing. I have some different tow hooks (20,000 lb) for the front now, and the holes don't line up. The real trick was the rear tow hooks for the Scrambler. I finally ended up using some 5/8" U-bolts at 4" spread and bolted them through the frame. They double as steps.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont feel like a fool. I prescribe to the theory "the only stupid question is an unasked question". I had the same problem. A drill solved it for me. I have a similiar problem now. I want to mount some kind of anchor point to the front and I cant figure out a good way. I have a Ramsey w/ a Smittybuilt tube bumper in place .clearly, I cant bolt or weld clevis attachments to this bumper. I will probably try and weld a 2" reciever to the frame somehow. I am at a loss. Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 10:49 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Have you thought of GM tow hooks? They're low profile and could fit just about anywhere, they're also very strong.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Funny you should ask. I have two that are in brand new condition. I bought them in 1996! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] They are sitting on the shelf in my garage. The guy who built my bumper welded a brace were the drilled hole would go. So, I'm still looking for a spot[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In the mean time, I always carry a tree saver strap and uses my overly strong winch guard as an anchor point.

Pete <font color=yellow>83CJ7</font color=yellow>, <font color=blue>96YZ250</font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where did you buy them. The dealer would want my first born! Chad

1985 CJ-7 258/TR upgrade/4"superlift/2" bodylift 33x12.50 BFG mt/Ramsey Platinum 9000,etc,etc.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 11:49 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Which ones, the GM hooks? I bought them from a guy that installs snowplows up here, they have to remove the hooks to put them on. I have 2 spares, new, if interested.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I remember correctly, I got them at the dreaded 4wheel parts wholesalers. I donít pay much for them. Iím sure it was less then $20. I am thinking now that I like D-rings better, so I havenít been very motivated to put them on .

Pete <font color=yellow>83CJ7</font color=yellow>, <font color=blue>96YZ250</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode