Summit or other Race seats? Comfortable? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Summit or other Race seats? Comfortable?

Hey guys,

I have the chance to pick up two "plastic" or whatever race seats. They already have the brackets for my cj and come with the leather seat covers. These seats can be found in Summit or other racing catalogs. My question is just how comfortable are they in the woods?

I have sat in them before but never drove in them. They feel great but does anyone have them?

I can get them for $75. Worth it?

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Summit or other Race seats? Comfortable?

JW,
I dont think they're at all comfortable, but Ive heard others say they are. My friend had a set in his Road Runner and liked em. I have trouble with any seat that has a side bolster and doesnt recline. I ended up going with Procar Pro-90 for my FJ. 21" wide seating surface and $499/pair. But, for $75, how can you go wrong? If you dont like them, you can always sell them and get something else. If they are in driving distance from you, go sit on them. Just remember that your going to be sitting on them for long periods of time. Good Luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:34 AM

If you lived anywhere near MA I have a set I would give to you. Shipping would probably cost $75 so thats out...
I had them mounted to the inside of my rollcage which is tied into the frame. You feel every vibration, bump, etc...I would say that if its something you plan on riding in for long periods of time they are fairly uncomfortable. Mabye if you put a lot more padding under the covers it would be better.

I replaced mine with a set of seats from a 91 eclipse which I got for $70. What a huge difference in comfort.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey jw, i have a set of the rci ones that you get from summit and i like them. i have said it before but i think they are the perfect seat for an open aired off-road vehicle. plastic so if it rains or you want to hose out the jeep you don't have to worry. when you mount them make sure they lean back just a little and don't mount them so they sit flat. a guy gave me that advice before i got mine and i don't think that they are uncomfortable. when i bought them i had intended to ad some padding behind the covers but after i got them i didn't find it necessary. the only thing that is uncomfortable to me is if i wear a belt while in them. it makes it rub up against me. one thing though, drill a couple of holes in the seat (where you sit) and then a couple more out the very bottom of the back. this will allow water to drain out of them. i learned this the hard way. they can hold quite a bit of water if you don't.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, Thanks for the input. I am going to get them. They already have the brackets built for a cj so It will be a quick install... Plus I already have my current seats sold. THey are early camaro seats. They are nice but they have low backs to them.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode