brake problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

brake problem

I have a 80 CJ-5, After driving it around for a while I noticed something smelled hot. I didn't know what it was but when I got home I discovered that the left front brake was rubbing and was what smelled hot, and that with the jeep jacked up I couldn't hardly turn the left front wheel. I took the brake pads off but they appeared to be in good shape, the caliper seemed to be what was causing the rubbing so I replaced the caliper but something is still causing the brake pads to rub. And the wheel is still hard to turn.
Could the caliper have caused the brake pads to rub and become uneven? Should I replace the brake pads also? What else could be the cause of the rubbing and making the wheel hard to turn? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin,
1980 CJ-5
1972 Jeep Commando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 06:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: brake problem

did you spin the rotor with the brakes off? if it still turns hard.. i would look at your wheel bearings..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:05 AM
Matt M38A1

If it is not the bearings, maybe consider flushing the brake system. Who knows maybe there's some rust or dirt in the lines causing pressure to be held on that wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Or a crimped line back in the system holding the pressure there. It's not likely, but possible. I'll bet it's the caliper, but turn the wheel with the caliper off to make sure it turns freely.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The rotor turns freely with the brakes off, and I already replaced the caliper.
What else could it be?

Justin,
1980 CJ-5
1972 Jeep Commando
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:48 PM
Matt M38A1

Try finding a crimped line first, then go with flushing, then go with a new caliper again, then maybe at worst a new master cylinder.

Don't assume just because you got a fresh part that you got a good part. Particularly if you bought rebuilt and not new. I have changed an alternator four times in one day before using reman parts. The new ones just were bad. Also if you get to taking the caliper off again, check to make sure the piston is not hanging up in its motion.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 01:55 PM

Whoa- just bleed the brake system at that wheel. My friend's Chevy van has this same problem so he just keeps and one-man bleeding kit in the van along with some extra fluid. Problem cured for another 2500 or so in his case- even his bungee-cord windshield wiper system lasts longer than that...

Restoring a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 02:24 PM
Matt M38A1

Why would air be holding pressure "on" the rotor?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 04:37 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I think you have a collapsed flexible brake line. You know, the black "rubber" brake line that connects to the caliper? Some times they collapse without any visible signs of problems. Then what happens is YOU have enough pressure to get fluid through the "crimp", but your caliper doesn't have the power to shove it back. So you end up with a pressurized portion of your brake system. This keeps the pads pressed against the disk. Replace the black hose.

Drew

<font color=red>IN2DEEP 78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 04:39 PM

You replaced the pads and the rotors, I think I would replace the flex line, they have a tendency to break down from the inside out and if they are bad could be working like a check valve holding the fluid in a pressurized state causing the brake to drag. Check about a bent of crimped line also.
GP'n

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode