T-18 Questions? / Resplining prices? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-18 Questions? / Resplining prices?

I just pulled the t-18 I was going to put behind my 351W and checked the first gear and it seems I have the 4.?? to 1.00 gear ratio.Is there any way I can swap the gears out of the t-18 with the 6.?? to 1.00 ratio into my t-18. If not does any of you guys out there have one I could by off you or possibly trade for it. I live in north eastern CO (80733)and like to keep shipping charges down. Also I would like to swap in heavier duty axles and would like to know about how much it would cost to have them narrowed to cj7 widetrack width. None of the machine shops around can respline axles so is there some place I can send them to have this done.

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:04 PM
RedSandDog

Re: T-18 Questions? / Resplining prices?

I looked into the same thing, and here in Phoenix at least, it was cheaper just to go and get a NP435 (6.6 to 1 first gear). I am also hooking it into a 351W and didn't have an adapter to the T/C yet, so it worked out about same/same for me. I think the T-18 you have can be regeared, but $$$$$$$.

'74 CJ-5
Send Money
...and a beer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What vehicles can I find the NP435 in? Will it bolt up the my T-18 bellhousing? What transfercases can be hooke up to it with out an adapter?

Thanks
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

look in ford trucks. they used them in the 70's and the 80's in 2wd anfd 4wd. i got mine out of a 73 f350 flatbed. you can identify them by the aluminum shifter housing. the t-18's is cast steel. i personally have seen more np435's in ford trucks than the t-18. you can swap the gears out of a 6.32to1 t-18 cheaper if you can do it yourself but if not, find a ford t-18 or np435 buy an adapter and put a d300 behind it. the ford versions don't have that super long input shaft like the jeep t-18's have. this is better for drive shaft angles. you can also probably get enough money from the t18/d20 combo to pay for an adapter. i have an extra np435 sitting in my garage but i doubt you want to come to tx to get it. yes the np435 will bolt to your t-18 bell housing.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What vehicle is the T-18 that you have now? If it is a Jeep T18, and it has the 4:1 1st gear it probably has the long input shaft. If that's the case, the bellhousing that you have now for the T-18 won't work with the NP435. If it's a Ford T18 you might want to check that gear ratio again. I have never heard of a Ford T18 that didn't have the 6.32 1st gear. Stranger things have happened.

'75 CJ5,258,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got a 6to1 t-18 for a guy once. i had never heard of this before but i saw it with my own 2 eyes. it was a 2wd version and the cast was a bit different than all the other t-18's that i have seen. i think it was pretty old but it did have the correct first fout digits in the number on the side of the tranny that proved it was a t-18.

snowtow, why won't the jeep t-18 bell housing work? i have delt with these but never had to swap bell housings. is the spacer on the jeep version what causes the difference? if so could you redrill holes in the belhousing to match the bolt pattern of t-18/np435?

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i thought the jeep t18 came in both short and long.. long being in the full size rigs.. and then it was just a spacer.. which on mine.. i wouldnt see why you couldnt take it out and just bolt the t18 to it.. besides the shaft being to long.. but it should bolt up..
i havent looked at it under a microscope.. but nothing looked funny..
and all this about the long input shaft i dont understand.. i put one in my jeep.. and the shifter comes out smack dab in the middle of the opening in the floor.. and my rear driveshaft isnt that short.. and i am running a d60.. checking out a rear cv driveshaft tomorrow.. i couldnt imagine putting a shorter version in.. how would you shift around the dash.. that first and third are wicked..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It has the jeep T-18. The casting numbers were T18 1B to be exact. I called around and found the ford version in a 85 f250. They want 275 for it but might except mine in trade. Mine must be a short shaft version because it had no adapter. Will the ford T-18 bolt up to my bellhousing.They also might have the axles I want. Can any one give me details on exactly what I need to do to the axle housings to get them ready to be cut down. Can I just have a certified welder do the cutting and welding. Also who can I send the axle shafts to have them cut down and resplined?

Thanks
Kevin

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It has the jeep T-18. The casting numbers were T18 1B to be exact. I called around and found the ford version in a 85 f250. They want 275 for it but might except mine in trade. Mine must be a short shaft version because it had no adapter. Will the ford T-18 bolt up to my bellhousing.They also might have the axles I want. Can any one give me details on exactly what I need to do to the axle housings to get them ready to be cut down. Can I just have a certified welder do the welding? If anybody has pictures or a website please let me know. Also who can I send the axle shafts to have them cut down and resplined?

Thanks
Kevin

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

moser engineering does superb work and resplines axles for about $100
they are good people too...good customer support
www.moserengineering.com

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode