need help for my frankenstein cj/tj conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help for my frankenstein cj/tj conversion

ok i dont know if any bodys tried this but i may be the first,this will sound crazy but bare,with me.I would like to keep my tj from the frame and body basically windshield on back but im replacing the front clip with cj (fenders grill and hood) i`m fabricating and that part is done and i would like to also add a cj dash is this possible ????the newer one has electronic cluster, speedo is eletronic and all service lights run through computer harness what the hell can i do is this even possible i hate the dash of a whimpy car like tj but my cj needs too much bodywork basically it doesnt pay to keep it i got tj for a really good deal.the worst case senario is i may have to keep the tj cluster and build around it , i may be able to convert a cherokee cluster? if anybody can help i would greatly appreciate it
thanks corey
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: need help for my frankenstein cj/tj conversion

i don't see why not. i agree. i don't like the car-like dashes in the tj's either. i have seen yj's with flat dashes but not tj's. anything can be done you just have to do it.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i may be interested in buying the front clip from your TJ

Boston Mangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok.. i have seen a cj front clip on a tj.. it was some very extensive body work. since the cowl.. is shorter and wider on a tj than on a cj.. so you somehow have to graft that together.. i saw it on the web a year or so ago.. and it didnt look fun.. other than that.. i dont see much of a problem with the cj front clip.. you also have to cut alot of the inner fenders out to get around the shock/spring hoop on the tj frame.. but you can hook the grill up no problem.. like i said.. you have to get the hood to match up somehow.. the dash.. i wouldnt have a clue.. i would try to get a blank dash with as little holes in it from a cj.. and then try keeping most of the tj gauges and what not.. then put them into the cj dash.. think that would be cool.. old dash with new controls..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

there are a lot of problems with that.. the cowl of the tj and the cowl of the cj are compltely different..different angle, the round part is different, they aren;t even the same width. i believe the cj dash will go in, but you wont have defrosters.I know a few people that were serious about putting a cj front clip on a tj, but none of them found a reasonable way to do it....sorry I couldn't help more

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used to be into kit cars and Factory Five Racing made a modern, well late 80ís, mustang dash look like a cobra. They pulled out the instrument cluster and cut the different gauges apart. Then they placed those gauges behind the dash and put bezels in front of them. I thought the idea was really hokey, until I saw one at a car show. It looked pretty good. So if your brave enough to pull out the dash and redo the whole thing maybe your could try that? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] So like jeepgod said you could start with the blank dash (I think four wheel parts hardware sells them blank), then check out this site (http://www.factoryfive.com/) and see what works.

Well dang I looked at there page for a little bit, but I know I have read about the process somewhere and this might be a good place to start your search.

Pete <font color=yellow>83CJ7</font color=yellow>, <font color=blue>96YZ250</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:16 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I would love to see it if you can do it. What are you going to do about the air bags? I may have to check but I'm pretty sure my 79 CJ7 didn't come with em! Keep us updated.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you guys are great thanks for your help i appreciate it air bags are for sale get them out of my jeep dont want them dont need them...whoerver heard of air bags in a jeep........

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode