Jeep "N"...I want a Gas Chromatograph! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeep \"N\"...I want a Gas Chromatograph!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Ever since seeing the movie "Medicine Man" I have wanted to have a GAS CHROMATOGRAPH. I think they are the coolest things ever! There was no such thing when I took Chem in college.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] How about giving me your very old, worn out unit, and you can go buy a new one.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Jeep \"N\"...I want a Gas Chromatograph!

What is a gas chromatograph? just curious.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Kyle

If you can't break it, Try Harder[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
79 CJ-7/304/T-150 I think/Dana20/No tires(yet)/rust[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:48 PM

I hate to tell you but I got one in my warehouse, white walls tires and four on the floor. serious , basically it is a furnance that burn chemicals and each chemical has a different burn charactic, like color and temp. the computer read these change and plot according to which I.D. the chemical compound.

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:58 PM

That's spectral analysis when you burn the test sample, and plot the colors and color changes.
All chemicals burn differently, so you can tell what's in something by burning it, and seeing what it does....
The machine you use to do it is a Gas Chromatograph.
They used to be real inaccurate, and the size of room, (a lot like computers), but they are brief case size now.

The bomb disposal guys just south of us have one for analysing samples from suspect chemicals and devices...
They have a real cool robot too!

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:17 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The difficult part is not the operation, but the calibration. With an unknown contaminant, you have to know what to calibrate for. In our case, we used a broad range, and the contaminants turned out to be 1,1,2 Trichloroethane and Trichloroethylene. There were other trace amounts of stuff, but those were the hot ones. Different contaminants show up at different times on the burn spectrum. Yeah, I wish I had one too, but the time to run one (time consuming), calibration standards, and operational gases make it a little cost prohibitive for the ordinary person. Besides, I need every cent to support my jeep habit.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] DRAT! And it looked so simple in the movie.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I was in hopes of checking our CJ for any traces of 2,2,4, Trimethylpentane that might be in the fuel tank.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:23 AM

If we keep talking about chemistry I might be able to justify being on this website during the day. Jeepn, what did you get your degree in?

Cjay

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:39 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Civil Engineering and Cartography (map making). Kinda diverse, but lots of fun. I kinda fell into my present job after skool and the Army (and a few "interim jobs" to pay the bills). My present job requires the use of math, calc, physics, chemistry, writing, computer skills, and wrench turning, it's awesome and keeps me in tune so I don't forget (much).

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode