engine light on going downhill - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
MNT
Addict

engine light on going downhill

I am confused! I was on the way home from a little wheeling, and coming down a hill the engine light came on. Let me set this up. This was on the freeway, after a long uphill (I cruised over the hill in 4th) about a mile or so coming down the hill the "check engine" light came on. This has happened 2x now, both times in the same place. The temp. was around 90 degrees F out (a little hotter the first time) I checked all the fluids etc. and everything is ok. To make it even more confusing, when I kill the engine and restart the light goes off. What gives? Was the engine temp getting too high? (it was reading around 210) coming over the hill.

This is all happening on a 92 YJ 4.0.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] MNT [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 01:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: engine light on going downhill

What was your oil pressure running? How steep was the hill. I've heard some guys complain when wheeling steep hills their oil pressure drops, alot! Because all the il goes to the back of the pan or when going down hill it all goes to the front of the pan and the oil pump can't do it's job. Some people have baffles in the oil pan for this reason. Next time check your oil pressure guage and see if it changes. Maybe something as easy as a larger oil pan, high volume pump, or oil cooler may help. If not, simply have a check run on it when the check engine light is on. Maybe it's just something simple like an O2 sensor. Good luck, let us know what it turns out to be.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode