Has anyone put a Chevy TBI on an AMC 360? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Has anyone put a Chevy TBI on an AMC 360?

I've "heard" of building a TBI system out of junkyard parts... assumably using systems that came out of Chevy pickups from '87 to '90 (ECU 1227747). However, I've never seen any feedback from someone who has actually done it.

Has anyone here actually done this? If so, would you please do a write-up on the swap.

Thanks

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Has anyone put a Chevy TBI on an AMC 360?

I am sure it could be done, but I think in the long run you would be time, and money ahead if you would buy an aftermarket kit.

Thanks, Ray

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:09 AM

the easiest way is the get a donor with all the parts you want, and buy a harness from someone.
Howell, AZ speed & Marine, ect....

Scabbing a harness together is a pain in the butt! Trying to figure out what you do need and don't need....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I done some FI adaptions...... Not the one you are asking about. I've lived with FI on European cars, and also with Fords. I 'took' to the Fords, because they were using 'port', individual-cylinder, FI, I believe starting in 1986 (pickups), where GM/Chevy was just messing with carburetors, trying to make them work as 1-or-2-injector systems (that they call TBI). Many of the Ford parts are genuine Bosch. And, I've had good luck with this hardware. I have found the Bosch/Ford/Volvo/Volkswagon/BMW systems to be very easy to understand (probably from living with it/them, so long). So,...... I've adapted this stuff to what I have been driving. Problem is, I am in ca, so what I do is not emissions-legal. So, I've only done a few. One was on a Chevy 350-V8, using the Ford parts from a 351 Bronco. (The Chevy is pre-smog, pre-73.) A fairly involved system, uses two pumps, one 'high'-pressure. (I did a lot of fabricating and machining. This is probably not for the 'novice', although I am sure that anyone that is interested could figure it out.) Another system I've done, is, the 3.0 Ford Taurus FI, installed on a 85 CJ-7 258. Again, a bunch of fab was involved. It works great, but is a pain, because every two years I have to re-install the BBD to pass smog. (The 3.0, at about 182 cu-in, is not 'well-sized' for the AMC 258. A better choice would have been to find a 3.8, 232 cu-in, Taurus.) Another FI-install I did, was a 94 Chevy 3.4 system, installed on an 85 Cherokee. This was close to a bolt-on, because the engines are similar, but virtually every external Cherokee engine bracket had to be remade, because every accessory has to be relocated to use the 3.4 FI. I've also adapted a VW-and-Volvo-and-BMW-and-Audi FI system to a 46-48 Ford flathead V8 engine. The reason for so many donors, is, because I tried to pick up what I could at the junk yard, just from what I could find on the ground. I have done some these conversions, just-for-fun, for the challenge, and for the education. As per above post, I normally like to work with a complete donor-car. I have made my own harnesses, but would rather buy. In each case, I'd recommend getting the factory manual, with schematic, for the donor-car. Sometimes these conversions can be 'low-cash'. I got the 3.4 Chevy system for free (I was buying an engine, and the 'junkie' said that the FI stuff was too pleantiful/too common. Not worth anything to him, and almost every engine he sold resulted in the FI stuff being tossed. He said he had almost no call for FI parts.) I had to pay for the computer and harness. I got the Taurus stuff the same way. I paid for the 351 Bronco stuff. I would think that putting a GM/Chevy TBI system on a 360, or any V8, would be a piece-of-cake. But, be careful, if you have to deal with the smog-czars. Getting a Howell, Turbo-City (or whatever), as a smog-legal system, has its advantages. And, if you don't want to 'engineer' the system, it has the advantage of being a 'working' system, which is guaranteed, and has some tech support. Good luck. I hope you can have as much fun as I have had, learning to mess with this stuff.
By-the-way, there is a site at http://home.att.net/~jweir/tbi/main_start.htm that might be useful, if you are going to try your own thing. I believe it's something like, 'do-it-yourself FI, how to put FI on anything', by Jim Weir.
bobH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode