Think I found a typo- Holley FI-system instructinc - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Think I found a typo- Holley FI-system instructinc

I am installing a holley fuel injection system --2D. On the instructions it tells you to run a rubber fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump--a 3/8" fuel hose. Then from the electric fuel pump (located by the tank), to a filter use 5/16" fuel hose? Why would you switch the size of your fuel line? When I first tried to squeeze the smaller tubing over the filter inlet side it ripped the fuel line.
I called Holley--they said it is a typo. Just thought I'd share that info with you in case someone out there is going crazy trying to figure out their fuel injection syste.
John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Think I found a typo- Holley FI-system instructinc

Good luck with that unit. I was unable to keep my jeep running. I think my MSD is sending bad signals to the system. It would run for a while and decide to quit. I even sent the ECU back to holley to have it checked. This was a bad experience for me. I will try to re-install it after my trip to Tenn. this weekend. If you need help please let me know...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What did you go with -- another carb, or a different FI system? I've heard from another person that they had trouble with their ECU also. They had to send it back. Haven't heard if they ever got it working though. I hope I don't run into those troubles. I'll let you know. My carb just doesn't like the hills at all.

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple of weeks ago i installed a 670 2D on my '86 CJ7 w/ chevy 305.

I haven't had the time to tune it in yet, but i have run it for about 2-300 miles.
Even just barely adjusted, it runs much better than my Carter 500 cfm 4-barrel (admitedly, it wasn't tuned properly either...)

Anyway, i have tried it in some up/down/off-camber situations, and it just keeps on runnin' .......

So far, i'm very pleased with it.

Hopefully i'll get the time to properly tune it in the next couple of weeks + install the o2 sensor.

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

<[email protected]>
Using self-discipline, see http://www.eiffel.com/discipline
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's the first good news I've heard about the system! Did you run new fuel lines or just use the stock ones?

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

John, I think my problem lies in the trigger wire for the system. I went with a center hung Holley for a temporary fix. As soon as I get back from Tenn. I will be back at the aggrivation of setting this system up. I have a lot of confidence in this setup it is my installation that worries me...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have the system, and I love it. I had the first real problem come up this weekend as a I was testing the set-up in an ORV park near my home. After about an hour or so of wheelin, I could not sustain any fuel pressure, and the fuel pump was whinnin. I also had the engine start to die over 3000 rpm.

Got it home took a look around, and the return line to the tank was completely pinched shut, where I run flexable line to the tank.

I still believe that the 670 system is a relly nuce, and easy to tune set-up. But, as with all electronics, it is realy, really, picky.

I agree though, It ran better in the first 30 minutes of operation than I ever got my 600 cfm edelbrock 4 barrel to work.

Hopefully I still sing its praises in the future (knock on wood)

Jesse

<font color=red> I'm not here for a long time.... I 'm here for a good time. </font color=red>
<font color=green> AOL Instant Messager:</font color=green><font color=blue> jessemyers </font color=blue>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 03:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

New 8 mm (a little on the thin side) input line.
Reused the stock input line, as the return line.

I bought the kit used, so IDK (yet) if the tps is correctly adjusted (i just bolted it on, curious to see if it would ran at all ...)

Also, idk if the other guy adjusted the tbi pressure ..

At the moment i'm building a garage, so the CJ has to wait a couple of weeks ...

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

&lt;[email protected]&gt;
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 08:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a return line on a YJ or will I have to make one?

John
89YJ-350V8,etc.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it had the 258 i'm pretty certain it had a return line.
If it is anything like the CJ, you should have 3 lines going down the left frame rail:

-Brake line
-Return line
-Vent line (from the tank/ rollover valve, this goes to the charcoal canister)

On the right frame rail, there should only be one line, the fuel feed line, going up to the stock fuel pump.

If this is the case, you will have a small problem:
Since the feed line should be on the *left* frame rail, and the return on the right, you will have to change the stock return line on the *left* frame rail, to a larger diameter
(and use it as the feed line).

I reused the stock feed line (on the right frame rail) as the return line.

Also, you should use new rubber hoses from the end of the hard-lines, to the tank.
If it is like the CJ, you will have to lower the tank, because the feed/return lines are connected to the top of the tank, and it is impossible to get to them, without lowering the tank.....
I just spliced the old rubber lines, praying that they will hold up for another month or two, then i'm going to lower the tank, changing the rear crossmember etc....

It could be that you will be somewhat confused *if* the YJ has the roll over valve etc.
There are two small plastic "boxes", one about 1/2 a coke can, mounted in the rear of the left rear wheel wheelhouse.
There will be some rubber hoses going up/down -- to/from the tank to these two. From one of them, there will be a hose going to a line, which ends up in the charcoal canister, mounted low on the left front fender.
It has 4 (??) hoses connected to it.

There is a web page explaining all this, search the tech stuff or search for "jeep 258 charcoal canister" or something like that .....

Regards,
PerJ (From Norway)

&lt;[email protected]&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode