My new welder and first project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My new welder and first project

Guys, I just wanted to say that I got my Hobart 135 mig welder last Tuesday! I love it. For those who have never welded before, Its really easy. I would always go to peoples websites and see them building bumpers, nerf bars, etc. Thinking "WOW", these people are cool.. Well, I practiced for a few hours and I now can run a pretty decent beed.

I figured I would start with a set of rocker nerf bars. I used 2x4 square stock with 2x2 braces to the frame. Take a look at the pic. Next I am going to put in my front hoop kit (thats why i bought the welder) and a front bumper.

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-200293-DSC00010.jpg (20.9 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:24 AM
Robert87yj

Re: My new welder and first project

Awsome!
I learned to weld in a couple of hours with my dad one day while trying to alter some stock seatbrackets for some toy seats. Big mistake, altering the seatbrackets, but it got me started, now I'm welding up anything I can think of. I don't know if this is a good thing b/c of all of the money I've wasted on steel for things I ended up making a "better" version of later. That square nerf bar looks good to me. It is one of the things that I want to do in the next couple of months. RIght now I'm finshing up a steel frame for a center consul that will hold some electronics, I figure that if it weight about 30 lbs. and is bolted down, it will be harder to steal....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
4.2 w/<font color=blue>(4.0 head & MPI)</font color=blue>
Process of a moonguy after beer
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got mine a couple months ago. So far I've welded up 2 safari racks, my exhaust pipe, a welder cart(turned out excellent by the way) and am working on a cover for the back of the scrambler

Bakes
83 Scrambler
90 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

do you have any pics of the racks?

1997 TJ w/ 33's
1984 CJ7 V8 SOA w/35's or 39's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/
OverMost 4wd Club President
www.jeepeast.com/overmost
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I do the same, started welding on the Scrambler after I'd bought it. For steel, which can get expensive, try a salvage yard or a recycler, it's where I get most of my steel, and it's usually free. Occasionally I have to buy a piece for a specific project, but usually I make due. Besides, it's the GREEN thing to do, remember, reuse before recycle!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 08:53 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

I have always liked the Hobart 135... nice little welder with the gas - runs some clean beads out of the box [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

isn't making your own stuff just so much more fun?!! it is ALOT cheaper too. i wish i had a mig but all i have is a little $200 lincoln 225ac arc welder. it does do everything i want to do though. i just wish i had a tig welder! toys, toys, toys!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:03 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Get to be a "freindly face" at your local welding/steel supply place... I get most of my stuff for small projects out of their scraps pile (their scraps are a gold mine to most of us [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]) - and for a little cash they usually let that stuff go for pennies on the dollar [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I got enough 1" solid rod (about 15 feet) to build some nice shock towers for the front of my truck along with some other scraps for $10 one day... can't beat that [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah you are right. i always raid the scrap bins at work and take bits and pieces. i love building stuff from scrap stuff and you'd be amazed what you can find in scrap bins.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:02 AM
cj7jeep

Notice how once you get a welder you end up getting more cool "toys". Like a sawzall, cut-off saw, grinders....and hopefully sometime soon a cutting torch. Remember what is said about jeeps. Its not what you buy, its what you build.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode