Why Cant I do This ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Why Cant I do This ???

Ok , this is probably a bonehead question ( its been a VERY long day) but why cant a person strip off the TBI system off a Chevy 350 and adapt it to a 304 etc.. ? I am not an automotive electrical genius ( and thats probably the issue) but with an adapter made for the injection plate , why cant it be done ?

<font color=red>

Happy Owner of a 1979 CJ5
Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

<font color=blue>There`s No Such Thing As Surface Rust</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why Cant I do This ???

The only thing that might pose a problem is the distributor.It has to have all that esc crap in it to run the knock sensor.You can get a new chip burned with that feature removed though.. Other than that, its just a matter of doing it.Jegs has a plate that holly sales for there tbi kit for about 30 bucks.it's for a 4 barrel intake though, one for a two barrel might be hard to come by.Call howell and see if they offer one.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:01 AM
I Do This For The Glory

You can do anything. A friend took the fuel injection off a Chevy 4.3 V-6 and grafted it onto his 258 I-6, works well. I don't know any more than that, but he ran it for a few years without any problems.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

go to the early bronco board and there is a post on how to do this. you should be able to do it with a jeep motor if you can do it to a ford. you would want one off of the 305 though because you won't have to get a new chip burned if you keep the motor as close to the same size at the donor. i plan on doing this to my 351w in the future. go to the eb board and check it out.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Well this is all good [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] information guys . Thank you . I thought I might be flogging a dead horse here.
I would really like injection but I find the price of the kits quite steep . For the price of the kit I can get myself an entire ( used) 350 engine with the harness and everything included.

Jeff

<font color=red>

Almost finished [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ( Ya Right ! )</font color=red>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:43 AM
Addict

Funny [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I just posted a similar question and then turned to your post. My topic is "Has anyone put a Chevy TBI on an AMC 360?" if you want to look in that thread too.

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 10:56 AM

The distributor isn't a problem.
A magnetic trigger is a magnetic trigger, it will just have to be connected to the GM Module so the computer can hook up. This is simple, but you will have to make a protective case for the module out of sheet metal, and you will have to change to the GM style remote coil, or match the resistance with the Ford E-core coil.

If it's a I-6, you can put the late modle module in a say, '76 I-6 distributor that has the remote coil.
That solves the distributor problem.

We haven't exactly got the tach thing figured out, but Mag should be able to help with that....

You will want to use a camshaft with similar profile so the fuel injection knows what the valve train is doing.
GM fuel injection systems are big on vacuum signal, so make sure your engine isn't tired, and not making any vacuum anymore or the cam isn't shot....
Otherwise, it's just wiring and keeping the color codes straight.
Don't attempt if you are blue/ green or red/ green colorblind!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

(speaking of Red Green....!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img])

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:03 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Do you catch the Red Green show down there or was it something different? What a funny show!

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7" Lift/33" Swampers/REP 8000/RS9000's/Scout II D44's F&R w/4.10's & Lockrights
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Aaron , my motor is the 304 . Now I haven`t bought the camshaft yet , so you are saying to get a grind similar to the year of the 350 I take the TBI off of , correct ? My 304 only has 10,000 mi on it so it should have lots of vacuum . I am going to have to do some serious checking as to how the wreckers feel about pulling off the TBI setup . If I get the green light on this , what all should I strip off the donor vehicle ? This will be a first (for me)on this type of operation so your( and others) help would be great . I want to make sure to get all the parts the first time . Thanks . Back to welding [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Later.......

Jeff

PS. Thanks Jeeper2 for the tip on the 360 post I will check that out later....

On the Red Green show , its hilarious , its a show built for guys . Too funny man !!

<font color=red>

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get every sensor that it has on it, and label them as you take them off!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode