D44 front waggie axel in YJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D44 front waggie axel in YJ

I am putting a D44 out of a '84 Grand Waggoner in my '90 YJ. Have decided to use the waggie pitman arm and drag link. Will probably need a new steering stabalizer. Should I order one specifically for an '84 Grand Waggoner, or are they univeral. The other question I have is about hubs. I have the automatic hubs(don't recall the name of the transmission-select track or something). I do want to keep the 6 lugs, because I will be putting the matching 6 lug AMC 20 in the rear. Does Warn just make a replacement set that will bolt in, or will I have to do some looking?

Thanks,
Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: D44 front waggie axel in YJ

if they used hub assys like the 70's quadratrack then the warn units will bolt right up.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
351w/np435/d300/d44/d60/detroits/4.56/35ss/bdlocks
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I swapped D44s from an '87 waggie into my 95 YJ. Not exactly the same, but very similar I imagine.

To the best of my knowledge, steering stabalizers are universal in design in terms of their attachment points, but different ones have different travel - longer ones have more travel, etc etc. I am using theone that came with the axles (needs replacing pretty soon) and it is BARELY long enough, so you may want to measure exactly how long you need it and then find something with at least that much travel.

On mine the front axle came with a drive flange in the axle - that is the front hubs are always connected to the diff. All I had to do to turn it into lockoing hubs was replace the drive flange, spring, and c clip with warn premium hubs for the dana 44 - 5 minute job, very simple.

If you want to see more about my front axle go to my web site:

http://www.chadlloyd.rockcrawler.com/Jeep.html

goto the tech section, grand wagoneer axle swap. It details a little more about the swap in my case. One thing I notice is the pitman arm - you will need to use the waggie pitman arm to get full radius steering, at least if yours is similar to mine.

Hope this helps.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chad,
Great Jeep, how much did you pay for those axles?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that I found a drop pitman arm to help out with the bump steer. On Skyjackers website they list a "steering/pitman arm as part of the Grand Waggoner 4" lift. I think this might help. Does anyone know of anyone else that might make a pitman arm for a Waggie?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Elusive and I made a 4" drop pitman arm from my stock wagoneer one.. heated it and bent it.. looks great.. but am leary about its strength... might purchase one for a spare.. just in case.. we'll see..

<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Part of the reason I ended up doing this whole swap (versus staying with my previous setup, super35 rear, lock rite 297 front) was that it worked out financially.

All prices in CA$.

I got 1800.00 for my old axles. good price, I had a little more into them (lock rite for front, gears, and super 35 kit), but all in all I can't complain about it. This money essentiall paid for the lockers and gears for the new axles. I found lockers real cheap on the mopar performance catalogue - 575$ca, which is about 383$ us, and no shipping! It was this find that made the whole thing doable. I then got a gear package from drive train direct.

The axles themselves cost me $200ca. I happened to ask a friend with a jeep shop if he would sell them at just the time when he needed 200$ desperately. I think generally speaking you'd normally pay more.

The axles brakes were shot, so when all was said and done what it cost me to put them in was about 700$ - 200$ for the axles, 300$ for brake parts, and about $175 for the warn premium hubs. The bearings and u joints were fine, although I'm probably going to replace them this winter anyway.

The brake parts were a PITA, in some respects - couldn't find a backing plate, had to send across the country for it, then it was the wrong one, had to send it back, no e brake parts (they want $186ca for ONE of the ebrake spreaders!), brake lines from YJ not right size, blah blah blah.

I have a junk yard waggie lined up to finally get the right brake lines from, but am still searching for reasonably priced e brake parts - frankly, I think this winter I'm going to convert it to disks, it will be cheaper!

Chad

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 07:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, that is great information, I will keep that in mind. I was searching for a GW drop arm for quite a while. At this moment I am contemplating SOA with cross over steering, so am not sure if I will use drop pitman arm or what.

Thanks for the info.

Chad

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Skyjacker part number is JA350 for a Grand Waggoner 4' drop pitman arm. Price is $72.45, better be plated in gold for that price. Can get better price if you don't order for Skyjacker, this came directly from them.

Jason

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode